how to secure your PC for free ::: offsite post

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by no13, Mar 25, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. no13

no13 Retired Major Resident Nutcase

I cooked this up after a LOT of looking around for free stuff...
    Unfortunately, you'll need to sign up to read/reply to This Article.

2. xalexander

xalexander Guest

I could read it without signing up! I thought it was pretty good. But your AV discussion seems to show a lot of bias. You say "recently, even Norton is seen to be a better AV than its last three years." My problem here is "EVEN Norton." Most would laugh this off as Norton, while resource hungry, cannot even be in the same category with some of your other "good" AVs. Norton AV is easily in the top two or three and anybody telling you otherwise has an agenda that includes knocking Symantec.

I would also put "Get behind a hardware Firewall/Router even if you are the only PC in the place" as the #1 point. Security should, in my opinion, never have FREE as the sole criteria. But since that is what you did, I think you did a pretty good job as far as it goes.

3. SSK

SSK Registered Member

After reading (no need to sign up) I'm wondering what your ideas are about a2? Is it intentionally not mentioned?

PS: And, of course, good post!

4. no13

Hia.
    Thanks for the kind comments :D
    1> err... about the router... I guess I'll put that in. but my main aim was to show people the "way"... my friends have been buggin' me for a long time about this and I hate to repeat [I'm kinda lazy].

2> there's no intended bias against Norton. My own experiences are major criteria, and the opinions that I've seen on the other boards as supplements. I can't say that Norton is a good AV when my PC has 40 trojans/viruses out of which Norton finds 30 and cleans/removes/quaranties 7. [I don't remember the exact stats... this was 2 years back]

3> Yup. I forgot about a2. Thanks for reminidng me :D

4> I guess the other admins have opened up the board! We just had a major run in with the forum software [not on the server side... all three browsers on all three systems that we use were spitting out junk!]

Hope i've been of some help.

Regards.
    no13.

5. GhostStar

GhostStar Guest

Hi:)
    Thanks for the link-very useful !

I was wondering what "AntiVir ::: Very good scanner. Boasts of decent heuristics. NO INCREMENTAL UPDATES. If you're on dialup, forget it. 1.5 mb download PER update. And it's updation is already fairly notorious." means?!

Cheers

6. GhostSatr

GhostSatr Guest

The point with AntiVir is that updating can be done ion two ways: downloading the program anew (which brings new sigs with it) or just dwnl virus defs ( http://dl3.avgate.net/updates/personal/vdf/antivir.vdf )

The reason is that AntiVir Developers constantly improve on the AV scanner, which explain why dwnlding the whole package may easily make sense.

I agree on a slow connection it can take up to fifteen-twenty minutes for a complete dwld.

But simply the best Free AV based on my own experience and needs

Rgds

7. no13

Many people have trouble updating through their normal servers.

many threads here on WSF if you care to search.

;)

8. SteelyDon

SteelyDon Registered Member

Norton has a good virus engine, and firewall. For people not involved in anti-social internet activity, is will probably offer robust-enough protection to keep your machine safe from attack in any way.

From my personal experience, and observations of others, and from what I have read while following the subject, I conclude that the problems of updating, installing, and uninstalling Norton, put it out of the running as an internet security system. I would not even consider buying it. For most people, it will run well enough, but the aforementioned problems can cripple a computer and cost the owners a lot of time and money. In this regard, Norton is the worst AV going. When it works, it is very good, but if you aren't highly computer-literate, stay away. The efficiency of the AV engine is overshadowed by the likelihood of the problems mentioned above.

Norton was the first on the shelves of computer stores, rather like Heineken was the first European beer in North America, and for years, the only one.
    Heineken isn't the best European beer, and Norton isn't the best AV.

9. slim30097

slim30097 Registered Member

Understand your feelings regarding AVG - bad experiences causes a lack of trust in the product, not what you want in your security software.

Mine involve Zone Alarm & McAfee. Never personally used Norton products but have uninstalled them on friends' machines & have very unflattering opinions regarding programs that lack adequate uninstallers. It's a temporary license not a "till death do us part" vow.

Personally, I love AVG. The 7.0 version is a nice improvement over 6.0. Did not see the Sygate firewall mentioned. I have been using the free version for about three months & it has performed very well in every test I have thrown at it. Like the password protection feature, uncommon in freeware firewalls. The hardware firewall/router is a nice addition - Linksys was my choice.

Opinions seem to vary on the preferred AV & firewall software. Whatever keeps you safe is the overriding criteria. Nice article - plan to find out whether TrojanHunter has a freeware version.

Slim

10. no13

hia slim.
    I mention very briefly that Sygate has the "loopback vulnerarability"...
    It will create a potential backdoor if you use a local proxy server [Privoxy/Proxomitron/Proximodo and licensed Proxo clones like sphinx X-wall series firewall and admuncher also i believe... and for TOR or JAP anonymizers as well]
    More discussion may be found at www.outpostfirewall.com
    If you care to search at the "other firewalls" section in WSF... you'll find at least half a dozen threads about... Since I used to use Proxo [will start again in a month]... It becomes a serious issue.
    Note that it may be an overhyped issue. But it's been the reason why people switch over to Outpost.

11. slim30097

slim30097 Registered Member

no13,

Appreciate the tip - not currently using a proxy server. Will review your link and the other firewall section. Always try to keep on open mind, especially regarding security software - not afraid to change if the circumstances dictate.

Slim

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.