how to schedule a TDS-3 scan

Discussion in 'Trojan Defence Suite' started by Stephen, Aug 31, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stephen

Stephen Registered Member

Have read all the documentation and can't figure out how to schedule a TDS-3 scan (or other action) to happen automatically at a specified time of day. There must be a way.

Stephen

2. DolfTraanberg

DolfTraanberg Registered Member

Hi Stephen and welcome,
    You are right, you can't schedule an automatic scan within TDS, but you allways can use the AT command from the command-line to schedule a file scan.
    Something like this:
    Code:
    AT 02:00 /every:M,T,W,Th,F,Sa,Su C:\at\tds3\tds-3.exe -scand c:\
    If you have your copy registered, you can use various scripts to schedule a scan
    Dolf

3. Stephen

Thanks for confirming my understanding. The question that follows from your reply, which suggests using the 'at' command, is:

1. If I'm already running TDS-3 24x7 for Execution Protection, and I want to run an automated disk scan, will the second instance of TDS-3 I invoke with the 'at' command get in the way of the first instance of TDS-3 or vice versa.

2. Is there any alternate way of communicating commands to a running TDS-3, for example with DDE (the documentation makes some mention of this)?

4. DolfTraanberg

1. when you use the AT command, the same instance of TDS will perform the scan.
    2. The DDE functions which would be useful are RELOAD (if you have set up TDS to do a scan on startup), FULLSYSCHECK, for a full system check or the SENDKEYS function, but I doubt if this way would make you happy :D

By having Execution Protection installed you indicated you have a registered version of TDS, so you might have a look at two scripts from Andreas Wagner:
    schedule.ss3 and the wonderful Screx project
    Dolf         

5. Stephen

Dollefie

Sorry, but in following your advice (i.e., invoke tds-3 from the "AT" command with a "-scand c:\" argument, with an instance of tds-3 already running. I get a keyfile is corrupt message (attached)

I've emailed all the details to support, but thought you might have a little insight in the meantime.

Tnks
    Steve

Attached Files:

6. DolfTraanberg

I've seen this error on systems running XP. It happens when TDS is running and and the user logs in on another account while TDS is configured to run at startup. Can this or something like this be the case?

7. Andreas1

Andreas1 Security Expert

Thanks for the PR, Dolf :D
    The idea how to use this for scanning is this: make your TDS perform the scans you want on startup, (and load the schedule script automatically) then use a ss3 script to make tds restart at certain times... (while this is a bit complicated and generate its own difficulties, it may avoid problems the other approaches have, so if you don't make progress with the 'at' command, you could try it.)
    Documentation - especially with the schedule script - is somewhat lacking, so you may want to post questions about it at dcs's scripting forum or mail me directly (a.wagner<at>stud.uni-frankfurt.de).

(Schedule and screx can be found here (screx in its own subdirectory))

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.