How to safely disable unnecessary services

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by MysteriousWorlds, May 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MysteriousWorlds

MysteriousWorlds Registered Member

Hi!

As almost anybody here will probably know, Windows 2000 and XP do "install" many so called "services" by default, thus "opening"/using ports to some harmful "extraterrestians" that will not be needed by anybody out there, but do create a potential risk to the average user.

Experts will already know how to close those infectable wounds by manual tweaking.

Still, I do write here for the average users and noobs, and even the "pros" among you might enjoy the comfort of using the following:

I hope this one has not already been posted before(?):

http://www.ntsvcfg.de/ntsvcfg_eng.html

Using the "svc2kxp.cmd" is really easy, but read carefully through the page before making any changes to your system!

Also be aware that some additional manual tweaks (easy to do) will be necessary to wholly complete the procedure of securing your system.

i.e. for Windows 2000:

http://www.ntsvcfg.de/kss_w2k/kss_w2k.html#w2knetbios

and for Windows XP:

http://www.ntsvcfg.de/kss_xp/kss_xp.html#xp1

The last two links are in German only (sorry), so use your brains, and you will still get through rather easily, i guess.

I disagree with the authors of that page, though, that, after having completed this procedure, using a desktop firewall will not be of any need anymore.

Use the script and keep your firewall.
    Personally, I'd recommend the now defunct (but still available) free Sygate PFW.
    If you are hot on leak tests, use free COMODO (but why not wait for the announced 3.0 version?)

That's it for now.

In case you already did similar procedures by installing your OS through "nlite", you probably won't need any of this. FOR ALL OTHERS, this is highly recommended.

Stay clean!

2. MysteriousWorlds

If there's any problems with the german language parts, just ask me.
    Ill do my best in helping you.

Still, this project is not mine, of course, and I cannot promise anything.
    I just try to positively contribute here.

Greetings from Krautopia :)

3. Togg

Togg Registered Member

There is a program called XP AntiSpy (which appears to be German) and which claims to switch off/close down many of these unneccessary or potentially dangerous things. Details here; http://www.xp-antispy.org/

I installed it and (carefully) set it up, so far without any noticeable problems. There are lots of options which I haven't messed with and, despite XP's reputation for phoning home, I would hesitate to recommend anybody to terminate a service or process without very careful consideration. The AntiSpy program does provide brief guidance notes but I personally only modified things I was 100% certain about.

4. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

You're new here. Welcome to Wilders.

This is the 2nd post you made that interested me.

Both lead to disappointment for me.

As both end in the german language. Which I don't understand.

I'm familiar with Babelfish & other translation programs.

The translations are crude at best.

I'd like to investigate further, but the language barriers stops me.

As this topic & the other (defraggers) are too critical. As to be lost in translations.

If you provide links that end in coherent english. I'd read & might test some of the tweaks or programs.

5. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

I use the well translated english version.

6. MysteriousWorlds

Although I do use XP Antispy, which is a classic on it's own right which I also do recommend to anyone, it won't be able to do what svc2kxp.cmd is capable of. By the way, this script is dual language (German and English) so there should not be any problem for a Not-so-Kraut. Am I wrong?

Cheers
    GUTEN MORGEN

7. MysteriousWorlds

Togg: If you want a complete list of rather simple things to harden your machine (even without a router) just start a new topic on that and write me a private message providing the link.

And, as I already said, I'll give XP Antispy a big kiss, but it's just a little helper, not too thorough in it's deactivating capabilities.

I don't like the Octoberfest, by the way.
    Rather have a beer in the woods.

8. MysteriousWorlds

zapjb?

If you need any help just ask me, maybe I can provide translations to the progs I recommend. Trusting should not be restricted to things in one's own tongue.

Know what I'm hinting at?

Of course, if you believe all in your own language, you're obviously in danger...

Have a drink with me?

9. MysteriousWorlds

Well, at least we Germans are not Chinese, are we?

The defragger is very simple to use.
    I used it today (latest version).

If you don't understand what the simple options mean...well, here they are, just for you:

Standard Options:

Vor der Defragmentierung:
    Temporäre Dateien löschen
    Dateien im Browser-Cache löschen

That means:

Before defragging the prog may be doing the following:

Clean temporary files
    Erase the browser cache

Systemdateien defragmentieren

means

Defrag files on the chosen HD

Then you may choose between the following three algorithms:

Dateianordnung nach Namen
    (which I personally prefer)
    it means: Sorting files in alphabetic/folderwise order

Dateianordnung nach letztem Zugriff
    which means: sort files on HD related to last access date

Dateianordnung nach letztem Schreiben
    which means: sort files logically concerning their last "writing on disk" access...

I hope my English is not too bad to make things plausible to you.

After all, that's all the prog is capable of.
    It won some prices in independent soft magazines here in my country.

If you don't trust it, don't use it.
    I use it.
    It works better than anything for me.
    I use it in admin / safe mode
    That's the best way to defrag your HD.
    And I don't trust Diskeeper, confessed.

Have a fine day. I hope you dare to use the proggie now.

Oh I know...Never trust a kraut.... :(

10. MysteriousWorlds

Zapjb:

I forgot one important thing:

Thank you for welcoming me at the forum!

in German it would be:

Willkommen Freund (welcome friend)

Totally different tongues we use....

Germany are almost speaking Chinese, you see? (du siehst?...German Chinese) thou seest? (one Shakespeare might've said)

Oh what aliens we are...

11. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Thanks for the offer to help.

"Trusting should not be restricted to things in one's own tongue."
    I find in this a disturbing insinuation.

I'll explain my point. I don't use applications/tweaks when I can't understand the instructions/warnings.

This forums most common language (I believe) is english. If your goal is to be of most benefit to the majority here. I'd say you should supply an english translation to the applications/tweaks you supply. Or at least not chide others lack of understanding of other languages.

I'd join you in a cup of Jamaican Blue Mountain coffee.

12. MysteriousWorlds

Indeed, Xp-Antispy (i hope you got the original version from the trusted site?)

is a german tool

So why not remove it from your comp right now since Germans are in reality chinese hackers?

Just a joke. But a serious one, i fear....

What's your problem with German freeware developers?

After all, they are not paid by our (or your) gov.

13. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

"What's your problem with German freeware developers?"

You've got to be kidding!

I've used XP-AntiSpy for like 5yrs. Would I use the german version. No I wouldn't. Can't understand it.

The english translation is a treat though.

14. MysteriousWorlds

If there are any other sw programs by german independant authors you're interested in but are not sure whether to use it (because of spyware fears) or because of "language barriers" feel free to contact me. I will immediately try to check things out for you. But, since I'm only human, I can't always be there.

~~ cut out off-topic, political dialog - LowWaterMark ~~

:)

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2007
  15. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

MysteriousWorlds, you are quickly getting out of line with your postings. No one said anything about not "trusting" German developers. zapjb merely said that since he does not know the language, it can be problematic to use a complex technical tool or informational website while trying to depend upon only an online translation of the text.

Technical dialog can be difficult enough to follow even when you know well the language it is written in. But, if you are using an automated translation tool, which may only be 70% accurate (if that, at best), then there are all kind of risks that the person is not going to understand, or might miss some important fact or warning that is only clear in the original text, but not in the automatic translation.

Knowing a language can be critical if there are technical concepts that need to be understood to fully utilize a tool or recommendation.

Further, the political commentary you just add will now be removed. No politics are allowed here.

From this point forward, let's leave out any discussion regarding the languages and/or countries of developers or product users. Let's focus on the technology, not those other things.

16. MysteriousWorlds

Without using any irony, i could never survive for a single day in this world of ours.

Can you?

17. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Thank you. Exactly my point. :thumb: :D

18. MysteriousWorlds

Quote:

Technical dialog can be difficult enough to follow even when you know well the language it is written in. But, if you are using an automated translation tool, which may only be 70% accurate (if that, at best), then there are all kind of risks that the person is not going to understand, or might miss some important fact or warning that is only clear in the original text, but not in the automatic translation.
    Knowing a language can be critical if there are technical concepts that need to be understood to fully utilize a tool or recommendation.
    Further, the political commentary you just add will now be removed. No politics are allowed here.

1. I hate and never use automated translation tools. I think I am able to translate my kraut tongue, even if not pure in style, into understandable, in no way janus-headed English.

2. I've been offering and still do offer to anyone at this board, regardless of his political views or his "race" (a term that has never existed inside my world of thoughts) to translate anything, be it a prog GUI or a installation pdf or anything, for everyone on this board, as long as I am capable of it.

3. I don't think there was any real political implication hidden inside my post.
    But if you think so, remove it, it's ok. But I really don't think so.

4. I don't like people who are obviously acting because of ideologies.

19. MysteriousWorlds

Zapjb?

You may at least try the prog?
    It is certainly free of spyware.
    And the translation I gave you means what the prog does.

Period.

20. MysteriousWorlds

LowWaterMark?

Can you please try to be nice?

Thank you if yes.

21. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Now you are over the line. Consider yourself warned for trolling on this forum.

22. ggf31416

ggf31416 Registered Member

IMHO in a perfect world Mandarin should be the "international language" as it's the one with the highest number of native speakers but the world is far from being perfect.

23. ThunderZ

ThunderZ Registered Member

I have not looked at the OP`s original link. However the basic content of the post(s) sound very similar to advice that can also be read here. Blackvipers Site It was down for quit a while but is back up running and updated. :thumb:

24. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

To any new or inexperienced folks reading this thread, language issues aside, there is a downside to disabling services you should be aware of.

Namely you might disable all the seemingly nonessential services and everything runs fine today. But 6 months from now you install a new piece of software, and it might need one of those services, and you've long since forgotten or may not know which one it needs.

I question the real value of this.

Pete

25. ThunderZ

ThunderZ Registered Member

In total agreement here. This is particularly true if you are on a LAN.
    While there maybe\are some potential security gains, even possibly a slight speed increase, there is a potential downside to any\all tweaks as stated by Peter2150.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.