How To Rip A DVD (Linux)

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by mack_guy911, Sep 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mack_guy911

mack_guy911 Registered Member

2. Trespasser

Trespasser Registered Member

If we're talking DVD movies then MakeMKV is a great resource if it's encrypted. It reminds me to a degree of another tool I used way back called RipIt4Me. I then would follow up with Devede, if need be, to finish the project.

Later...

3. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

You can of course do it all with VLC. https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=1908719&postcount=4

I also like Handbrake. Sometimes I find that the ripped m4v (mp4) will not be accepted by DeVeDe. When that happens I use Avidemux and change audio to mp3 as it is usually a sound issue. Then no problems with making an .iso with DeVeDe.
    Those are the three tools I use and I am happy with them.

4. mack_guy911

mack_guy911 Registered Member

5. linuxforall

linuxforall Registered Member

I second that on VLC, excellenet tool to rip and more.

6. Trespasser

My wife wanted me to make a copy of a Tai Chi dvd she ordered from Amazon, but, to my surprise, this thing had encryption on it. I tried MakeMKV but it didn't include the menus. I tried DVDrip...not what I was looking for. I even tried VLC to copy it but failed. I eventually tried K9Copy and it did great. Exactly what I was looking for. It decrypted the DVD and made an iso. The down side was its size (a 200 mbs download). But, there is a lite version of it called backlite. It even has a ppa....

https://launchpad.net/~ferramroberto/ archive/k9copy

The good news, it's only a 50mb download (which includes its dependencies). It works very well.

Later....

7. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

Over the weekend I landed up with a region 1 DVD from our local library. So, I could either pay Trespasser a visit and watch it in his TV room, or I could use Handbrake or VLC to ignore the code and play it right here in region 2 :D
    After a careful calculation of the travel costs including a small token of appreciation for being a burden on the Trespasser household, I decided to rip it here. :)

8. Trespasser

Aw shucks! And I was so looking forward to you and the misses visiting. :D . Seriously though, changing a DVD from one region to another was a real pain. I finally had to re-image my Desktop with Windows 7 and use ConverXtoDVD to accomplish this task.

Later...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.