How to rid Norton of logs

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by trjam, Sep 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trjam

trjam Registered Member

How the heck do you delete the log files for Norton. Specifically the full and recent history ones.

2. Killtek

Killtek Registered Member

You have to use Norton's removal tool :argh: (sorry I had too)

3. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Yep, I am talking about current ones, like if I had the suite installed, not my avatar. I know most products have a setting for how long to retain logs. Where the heck is Nortons.

4. edd3800

edd3800 Registered Member

I'm not sure what logs your trying to delete. But go to History, then on view go to Firewall-Activities and you can clear log. Also works in Network and Connections,Intrusion Prevention, Scan Results.

5. trjam

trjam Registered Member

It is the recent and full history ones. Some give you the option to clear, but these 2 dont and they are getting big.

6. trjam

trjam Registered Member

now they are gone. I didnt do anything. Cool but weird.

7. edd3800

If you go into each one and clear, then your Full and Recent History get cleared

8. trjam

trjam Registered Member

True, dumb me. Thank you

9. Graystoke

Graystoke Registered Member

Ok, I'm either dumb or blind. I can't clear them. I high light them, right click them, no option to clear. No Clear button. What's the secret?

10. edd3800

When you go to history On view go to Firewall-Activities then under Alert Details
    at the bottom you should see a clear log button there. There are no options for full and recent history. When you clear each category that will clear full and recent history

11. Graystoke

I cleared all the logs, firewall activities, scan reslults, etc. That cleared most of the resent and full history logs, but not all. I guess that's ok.

12. edd3800

I was able to clear everything except the Activity listed as Light Silent Mode turned on, or off. Haven't figured how to clear that.

13. Cloudcroft

Cloudcroft Registered Member

Same here....I followed your instructions, and everything in Full and Recent History is gone except Light Silent Mode turned on, or off.

14. Graystoke

That is what I had left also.

15. trjam

trjam Registered Member

It is a good suite, darn good, but I have never seen one that did not give you a option to delete files after a specific period. Oh well, doesnt matter anymore. But it has improved.

16. edd3800

After spending about a half hour in Norton help I found out only the last 7 days is kept in recent history. For full history I found this" Security History stores the information in a separate file. When the file size reaches its maximum size limit, information that is related to new events overwrites the information that is related to older events. You can export the log periodically." Could not find what the maximum size limit was.

17. edd3800

I posted the issue on Norton Forums and got a reply tonight here it is.

Hello,

Thanks for you comments. 2009 currently does not clear logs for silent mode enties. We have logged an incident and will track to fix it in future releases.

18. Graystoke

It's too bad Norton doesn't add the option to set the number of days you want the logs stored, or the size of the log files. If I remember correctly, they never have. Maybe they figured the mass majority of their customers don't care about such things. It still would be a nice option to have for those of us who like to control the size of the log files.

I'm not going to complain too much, because I really like this new Norton. So I guess I'll take the good with the bad. At this point, the good out numbers the bad.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.