How to restore registry

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Ropipo, Feb 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ropipo

Ropipo Registered Member

My Vista resistry has been altered by an unknown process. I already succeeded to repair the Winsock and Windsock2 entries but I still have a problem (Failed to initialize core system component - CORE.DefaultSocketManager Subsystem)
    I wish to restore the registry from a full backup. But where do I find the registry back up, what name must I search ?

Roger

2. nb47

nb47 Registered Member

You should be able to get it from 'My Computer', I would think.

3. Ropipo

Ropipo Registered Member

O.K. I was not clear. I know the file name for the general BKUP.
    But how do I do a partial restore for the registry. I find a bunch of dataset names as Boot, Documents and Settings etc... In which folder will I find the specific BKUP that contains the registry (Windows ? System Volume Information ? Boot ? System32 ?) Which file: regapi.dll ? regdt32.dll ?etc...
    See what I mean ?

Roger

4. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

How about using a Windows Restore point?

5. Ropipo

Ropipo Registered Member

Yes, you are right. With more investigations I realized that the restore I had in mind would bring me into more trouble.

Roger

6. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

The best solution is to restore the backup image to revert the entire system to the state when the backup was made. Trying to select files like the Registry components to restore separately is not likely to be successful.

If your computer now has data on it that is not in the backup image, make a new backup before doing the restore. Although this backup has the Registry errors, you can use it to restore your new data after restoring the entire system. You just use the 'mount image" feature to access the data in the image.

If you installed programs since the previous backup image was made, you will have to reinstall those programs because they cannot be restored separately from an image.

I hope that helps.

7. Ropipo

Ropipo Registered Member

John,

That is what I finally did. Everything worked perfectly. The BKUP was 9 days old but nothing was changed in the PC during this interval of time.
    Roger

8. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

Thanks for letting us know how this worked out, and I'm glad the solution was acceptable.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.