How to restore image to different HDD

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by power_man, Dec 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. power_man

power_man Registered Member

I recently reinstalled my OS on my 160 GB HDD. I made an image of my clean OS with all the drivers and updates before I installed all my apps. I have another 120 GB HDD that I wanted to set up for games. I thought I could just restore the image to any drive. Is there something I am doing wrong? Is it because of the size difference? I didn't clone my drive, I imaged it. Also, of course, I can't clone my drive because now I have my apps installed plus it is a bigger drive going to a smaller one. So am I stuck reinstalling everything or is there a way around this? Thanks

Oh ya, I have TI10.

2. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

As long as the used space on the drive is less than the size of the drive you intend to restore to (with an allowance of several megabytes for swap files and temp files), there's no problem restoring an image to a smaller drive. If your 160GB drive has only 15GB used, you could restore the image to a 20GB drive.

If you are having a problem, tell us screen-by-screen what you are doing and where you get stopped.

3. power_man

Well then I don't get it. I don't even have the option. I choose restore and it asks me what file I want to restore. I only have the one and chose it. Then it gives me the C: and asks what partition I want to restore it to. (I only have one) I never get the choice to select my D: drive. (the one I want to restore to)

Right now my D: just has a raw XP install on it. I unplugged my C: and plugged in my D: so it would be treated as a single drive, new install. I didn't want the chance of my boot partition not set up right. So I plugged in my C: drive again (master) and my D: (slave) and here we are. Yes my D: is recognized and working. I need to go to bed, but will post any more info you need tomorrow.

4. power_man

I tried before work. That was a little confusing. It asked what partition to restore, but when I continued on it gave me the destination to restore. So I didn't go far enough and It was asking which partitions of the backup I wanted to restore, not the destination I wanted to restore to. I got it now. Thanks for your reply.

5. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

That's good news. I'm glad you were able to figure it out yourself.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.