how to restore if hard drive crashes

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by rbig, Dec 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rbig

rbig Registered Member

Just started using Acronis TI 8.0. I'm blown away at what a great backup tool this thing is, and how user friendly it is. I installed mine, made my first backup image to my USB drive, and then verified it to be complete and valid with just a few mouse clicks.

My question pertains to what happens if I have a hard drive crash, assuming my first install of TI 8.0 is lost. Do I first re-establish the viability of the hard drive and then install TI 8.0 again? Will this then enable me to run a hard drive restore from the image on my USB? Seems like it would

Just trying to stay ahead of the game.

2. Long View

Long View Registered Member

(1) make sure you have made an emergency CD
    (2) always keep an image on an external drive/DVD

If your hard drive really dies then yes you will need another drive BUT it your drive simply refuses to boot then you pop the emergency CD in your drive, boot from the CD and restore from your external drive

3. rbig

rbig Registered Member

}}} If your hard drive really dies then yes you will need another drive {{{

If that happens and I put a new hard drive in, then can I keep going by installing my TI 8.0 on my new hard drive? Assuming I do this, then can it restore from the USB image? I would think the USB image would never know the new TI 8.0 isn't the old TI 8.0.

4. Long View

Long View Registered Member

Assuming that the new drive is exactly the same as the old drive ( things may be different if you use different brand, size etc) all I would do is remove the old drive, plug in the new, boot from the emergency cd and restore from the external usb. some people in this forum make an image of drive 1 and then switch drives and restore to drive 2. That way if a drive fails all they have to do is replace drives.

5. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

After a hard drive failure all you have to do is restore the USB image to the new drive. No preparation of the replacement drive need to be done. Just ensure it is connected exactly the same as the old one. You boot from the recovery CD that you made earlier and follow the prompts.

The replacement disk does not have to be of the same make or even size as the old one. If it is bigger you can resize the partitions as part of the restore process or it can easily be sorted out afterwards.

Xpilot

6. Ralphie

Ralphie Registered Member

The recovery CD (also called the bootable Rescue cd) has all the Backup, Recovery and Clone features just like the installed software. So there is no need to first install the True Image software on a new drive.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.