how to restore dsr image without dsr partition

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by eds1989, Aug 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eds1989

eds1989 Registered Member

hi i have just copied the dell system restore image onto a usb hard drive, and then fomratted the main hard drive so i deleted the dsr partition.
    i would now like to know how to restore this image without the partition.
    if i need a boot disk and like the recover.exe file, (which i also deleted, woopsie) could someone please send me what i need??
    if it is a boot disk, i also have no floppy drive, so i would need a boot cd

thanks so much

*currently running on no drivers and no apps*

2. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

Are you using Acronis true Image? If so what is its description, version number and build number.
    What exactly did you copy to the USB drive? If it was an image of the whole main drive getting back to sensible starting position should not be too difficult. While it is still fresh in you mind set out the exact steps you went through when you made the image.
    I could guess that the computer is a desktop PC or is it a laptop? A bit more information about your hardware would make problem solving a lot easier.
    It is plain that you have not understood even the most basic needs for running Acronis true image. There are several places such as Read before you Post , FAQs and of course the downloadable user manual. I am not suggesting that you read all of these but there is a small learning curve to climb.
    You should have spotted that you need some rescue media to run a restore. Most users choose a CD and this is created from within the Acronis program.
    If you are not able to run True Image on your Dell you could install it on another computer and create a rescue CD there. The CD will run on your Dell and you will be able to boot into the rescue environment.

3. eds1989

eds1989 Registered Member

no i did not create the image
    the image was created in the dell factory and was placed on a hidden 4 gig partition. i then made the partition visible and copied the image to a usb hard drive. i copied a .gho file and two .ghs files.
    i then went back and deleted the dell partition which has now removed mmy ability of using the dell system restiore feature.
    so now i have a dell created image whcih i can not restore using norton ghost ten.
    i am on a dell inspiron 6400 laptop
    with 80 gig hard drive in one partition
    will the acronis true image resourse cd thingy let me restore a dell created ghost image??
    i have a feeling i must use norton ghost 2003 resource boot cd or something, which i do not have
    the dell restore feature uses a crippled version of the ghost 2003 program, called recover.exe, which i also do not have
    so is there any way of restoring this image??

thanks

4. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

You will have to sort out your system with the help of Dell and Ghost. Ghost images are not compatable with Acronis true image.

5. crofttk

crofttk Registered Member

"Copied" it using what ?
    Are you saying you created an image with Ghost and now you can't restore it ? Not sure I understand all that.

If you can put the dell restore partition back and restore it with the Ghost images files, then you can certainly restore the dell restore program functionality along with it being keyed by Ctrl F11 at boot up. You can read specifics as documented by Dan Gooddells here: http://www.goodells.net/dellrestore/index.htm

You can dowload Dan's dsrfix utilities set as a bootable CD iso image to burn to CD from a link on this page: http://www.goodells.net/dellrestore/fixes.htm

Last edited: Aug 17, 2006
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.