How to restore domain controller on new hardware

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by ivam, Nov 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ivam

ivam Registered Member

Hi,

We are in a multi domain controller environment (Server 2003) and need to restore one of our domain controllers into a new hardware using Universal Restore. I've seen couple threads about restoring DCs without having USN rollback. But our situation seems different since we will restore ours on a new hardware. I guess the system state backup of the old hardware is useless.

Has anyone done this before? What are the steps we need to follow?

Thank you

Last edited: Nov 13, 2008
  2. ivam

ivam Registered Member

anyone?

3. supdeco1

supdeco1 Registered Member

Hello

i don't know if i can help you and if i all understood.

I have migrated on septembre the DC which have got 'relation d'approbations...sorry" to a new hardware server

If you have an operational server and want to migrate all (OS, AD, programs, data) to a new hardware, follow this instructions...

1) you need to use acronis true image enterprise, and the option universal restore. Install it on a pc which have a cd writer and you have to create a boot cd (with the universal restore option), and find a external DD(usb2)

2) find the raid driver, and others drivers (the raid driver is the most important) and put them on an other cd

3) when time migrate is arrived, stop your server, plug the external DD, swith on the server, and put the acronis cd boot..., make a backup of your partitions into a DD's file.tib.

4)Stop your last server.

5)Replace the last server by the new, plug the DD, put the boot disc,

6) Select the file.tib, and. the screen below, eject the boot cd and insert the driver raid cd, and select it).

7) be patient...

:cool: when the server start, put the drivers server pack (support pack).

9) the only thing to do is to tape the IP configuration

cheers!

4. Yasor

Yasor Registered Member

after backup and while restoring

could you please clarify the (5 , 6 , 7 ) steps in more detail

in Step 5 which boot disk should i insert ??

in step 6 could you please give more explination ?

i mean how to restore the image and configure the RAID ?

5. ivam

ivam Registered Member

I've found another method which is taken from Microsoft's "Running Domain Controllers in Virtual Server 2005" article. It basically fools the OS to think that an AD aware restore was made.

Has anyone tried this method?

6. supdeco1

supdeco1 Registered Member

hello

5) shutdown your previous server, and switch on your new server
    Plug your extarnal disk onto your new server and put into your cd drive, the boot cd, made in the first step (it's the acronis boot cd with U/R).

6) you have to select your image file on your external disc which contains all partitions of the server you had back up (it's a file.tib)

7) when you have select it and click next, and you have options.
    When the screen is "to add driver", eject the acronis boot cd, and replace by the server drivers cd, and select the raid driver.
    You have to setup previously your raid partitions with your cd utility, which is provided whith your server.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.