How to report false positive?

Discussion in 'Returnil releases' started by ZZZ, Oct 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ZZZ

ZZZ Registered Member

Hi, there.

Thanks to the Giveaway of the Day offer, I installed Returnil 2010 Lux to a computer which I had Returnil 2008 with Avast! Beta 5 installed. However, when it started the initial system scan, it found AVASTSVC.EXE and RVSDISK.SYS as security risks. The former is Avast! 5 Beta component while the latter is, if I'm not mistaken, a part of remains of Returnil 2008, which I had been prompted to uninstall by 2010, which I had docilely obeyed. I haven't taken any action to these files but what should I do to tell the developers false positive? I've already taken away RVSDISK.SYS from the system while put AVASTSVC.EXE to "Define List" under Virus Guard's File Protection.

Also, I found that Returnil uses the same name "Define List" to two different functions: one is under File Manager while the other is under Virus Guard's File Protection. I believe the latter is generally called exclusion list. How about changing the name of the latter to exclusion list or something to avoid confusion? Just my two cents.

2. Coldmoon

Coldmoon Returnil Moderator

Hello ZZZ,
    You will need to uninstall RVS 2008 before installing RVS 2010. As you noted, RVS 2010 will recognize a 2008 install and then asks you to do this before proceeding with its install.

RVSDISK.SYS is the disk cache for RVS 2008 and should be removed with the uninstall of RVS 2008. You can simply delete this file if it remains following an RVS 2008 uninstall. Also male sure all your current security programs are deactivated during the install/uninstall process as they can cause issues.

The FM list is not an exclusion list. It is for saving content to the real disk so you must add files and folders you want to save to the list deliberately. The Virus Guard list is a list to exclude specific files and folders from being scanned.

Mike

3. ZZZ

ZZZ Registered Member

Thank you for the reply, Coldmoon.

I guess I wasn't clear enough. I had uninstalled 2008 but I think there was some remaining of that, about which I had already deleted at my will.

The problem is that no security program vendors would recommend that while the vendors of programs which are going to be newly installed tend to recommend the exact opposite.

Again, I seem not to have been clear here. I know the difference between the two lists but I'd like it to be clear since both of them have links called "Define List", which I personally find quite confusing when I came across them first time. It was like...'Which list?' I know the functions of each list but I found rather confusing the presentation on the interface. Of course, this is just my humble opinion, though.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.