How to remove..

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by Sorken, Jun 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sorken

Sorken Registered Member

Hello, I'd like to know how to fully remove ESET Smart Security.
    So far I have deleted all folders and files with ESET or Nod32 in them, don't know if there's any hidden ones or ones with other names tho.
    I have also removed ESET from Regedit>HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE>Software>
    But is there anything else I need to remove? More Registery files or folders? Need to be a 100% sure it's 100% gone, cause I'm about to install AVG and I don't want my computer to go bluescreen on me as it has done to many others!

2. shansmi

shansmi Registered Member

below are the complete instructions to remove ESS (and they can be applied to all/many other programs AVG included). I was an avid AVG Pro user until I hit XBOX problems with their firewall. When rev 8 came out I was one of the first few to upgrade. To date and I have tested about every package on the market, I have found no other AV/Firewall program that gets everything working within minutes of an install on Vista x86 as well as x64 (i.e. my xbox 360 for video sharing, networking on my home network, IE access to the Internet, email using Outlook 2007,video sharing on my home network, WMDC so I can Sync my Tilt to my PC, various program updaters that I run manually - the list goes on). When you install AVG8 you will find it switches firewall mode to allow everything in when you hook up a WM6 device like a Tilt - at least it was for me. I tried for weeks to get that fixed with no luck....

U can skip the first few things since u are not going to re-install...

Please reinstall the program using the following method...

1. Download fresh new version of ESET Smart Security from
    http://www.eset.com/download . Make sure that you choose the correct version.

2. Uninstall your current version from Control Panel
    3. Reboot the computer when prompted
    4. Delete manually these folders:

for XP:
    - C:\Program files\ESET
    - C:\Documents and Settings\All users\Application data\Eset
    - C:\Documents and Settings\~username~\Local Settings\Application data\Eset

for Vista:
    - C:\Program files\ESET
    - C:\Program data\Eset
    - C:\Users\~username~\AppData\Local\Eset

5. Reinstall your ESET software using the file you downloaded in step1 . Use typical install.

6. Delete the following registry keys.AND some registry keys

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Eset
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Eset
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\egui

7. Open Control Panel -> 'Network Connections', right-click ‘Local Area Connection’ and click ‘Properties’. Under ‘This connection uses the following items’ make sure you don’t see ‘Eset Personal firewall’ listed. If so, select it and click the ‘Uninstall’ button.

8. (optional) Now run any registry cleaners like Crap Cleaner or Registry Mechanic and then reboot. After the reboot, reinstall ESS.

3. Sorken

Sorken Registered Member

Thank you very much, it seems NOD32/ESET Is completely removed from my computer now. I just have a few more things to ask, while removing all Nod32 and ESET registry files I also removed every registry file with the name ESET or NOD32 in it, for example, old torrent files etc. But I also recall removing one called "LastFolder", in the "description" or whatever, it linked to the location of the map the torrent was put in. Is this file important in some way? Will it mess up my OS?

EDIT:
    I tried to search for LastFolder now and it seems it's been put back automatically :)

By the way, is it safe to install AVG now directly after or do I need to reboot after I removed registry edits, etc?

Last edited: Jun 17, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.