How to remove sskbfd.sys...

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Atomas31, Feb 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Atomas31

Atomas31 Registered Member

Hi,

I still got a driver call sskbfd.sys wich is a SpySweeper driver in my system (I remove Spysweeper more than a year ago). The problem is if I delete the driver, at reboot of my system, my keyboard won't work anymore? Is there a way to remove sskbfd.sys without screwing my Microsoft keyboard?

I have windows XP with SP2

Thanks,
    Atomas31

2. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    Try Device Manager > See what driver is listed under Keyboard. If this is the one, change to a generic one. Then try to remove, reboot.
    Mrk

3. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

The below is from CastleCops Spysweeper Forum posted by Webroot_SS(Dan). The site is somewhat slow in connecting, so I hope you don't mind if I simply quote his post here. Hopefully it works for ya.

Bubba

4. Atomas31

Thanks' Bubba, I already try that and it didn't work...

@mrkvonic,
    How and where do I go to change the drivers?

Attached Files:

5. Mrkvonic

Hello,
    I don't speak French, but you should have a tab called: Driver.
    There you can choose to update, remove, install etc ....
    Mrk

6. thanatos_theos

thanatos_theos Registered Member

7. markymoo

markymoo Registered Member

its the keylogger detection driver. it hooks into your keyboard. go into safe mode launch regedit and scan your registry for that file and remove all traces then delete the file and reboot back into normal mode. that should do it.

8. Atomas31

Thanks everyone!

So far, I have tried :

1) Bubba instruction in normal mode and in safe mode - Keyboard screw!
    2) Under the tab driver, I have tried update and going back to previous drivers - keyboard screw! (maybe I should try uninstall, uninstall sskbfd.sys and then reinstall the driver)
    3) I have tried the removal tool from Thanatos_theos didn't work!
    4) I have communicated with Webroot support and so far they also send me another removal tool wich didn't take care of sskbfd.sys! I am waiting there next instructions...
    5) In safe mode, I have deleted any reference to sskbfd and my keyboard was still screw!

Does Spysweeper now belong to Symantec to make some part of there software so difficult to remove?

Thanks,

9. Mrkvonic

Hello,
    Indeed, try uninstall and then install generic MS 101/102 keyboard driver.
    Cheers,
    Mrk

10. Atomas31

Hi,

I try the following : remove everything in the registry related to sskbfd, the delete the driver sskbfd. Than I uninstall the driver of my keyboard. So, at restart, my computer detect the keyboard install the driver but can't start it. The error message I see in property of my keyboard is : "This device can't be start (code : 10)"

In other words, this didn't work either?

Where can I download generic MS 101/102 keyboard driver?

Thanks,
    Atomas31

11. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

It's built-in into the OS ;)

12. Atomas31

Ah! Ok, thanks'

Than how can I resolve the error : "this device can't start (code : 10)?

13. Mrkvonic

Hello,
    I didn't say remove things from registry... I said simply uninstall the driver and then install the generic one. If, and only if this work, only then play with the registry.
    Mrk

14. glentrino2duo

glentrino2duo Registered Member

To follow-up with Mrkvonic's suggestion, delete sskbfd.sys first. Then, in the DEVICE MANAGER, delete the keyboard. Upon restart, hopefully :), Windows XP will be smart enough to install inbuilt drivers for the keyboard...

15. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

in general just deleting will screw up your system,be carefull follow right procedure !

16. Mrkvonic

No, please!
    Uninstall the driver. Don't touch the .sys file.
    Install the generic driver.
    Reboot. If everything works, THEN delete .sys file.
    Mrk

17. Atomas31

I have already try that, and after a restart of windows (when plugging again my keyboard), the inbuilt driver are reinstall but the keyboard won't work and when I look in DEVICE MANAGER the properties of my Keyboard, I see the error : "This device can't start (code : 10)"o_O

@Mrkvonic,

Are you talking about the generic driver build in my OS and wich get reinstall if I uninstall my actual driver and restart my computer with my keyboard plug-in or is it a generic driver that I can download somewhere? If so, where can I download it?

Thanks everyone,

18. Atomas31

It looks like somehow sskbfd.sys have integrated so much with my actual keyboard driver that it has become a "somewhat" part of ito_O
    My driver is from Microsoft, version : 5.1.2600.2180 and it is for a Standard Keyboard 101/102 keys microsoft natural keyboard PS/2

So my questions are :

How to I remove this driver from my computer (wich files do I remove from my system to be able to redownload it from microsoft update?) and how can I download a "clean" version of my actual driver if not by microsoft update?

Thanks,

19. Mrkvonic

Hello,

All you need is Microsoft Windows XP CD.

1. Uninstall the ugly sskbfd.sys driver.
    2. Then install new driver - choose from list - select generic driver.

Reboot. See what happens.

If all is good, then delete the .sys file.
    If not, I'll try to think of something else.

Mrk

20. Atomas31

Hi Mrkvonic,

1) that part is easy since uninstalling the actual driver uninstall sskbfd.sys (but get reinstall when my actual driver gets reinstall!!!).
    2) That part, I don't understand how to do it? I don't have an actual Windows XP CD, I have a recovery CD for my system. When I place it on my CD reader I see what you see on my screenshoto_O Don't know where to go from there? Rigth now, if I uninstall my driver, it get automatically reinstall (with the sskbfd.sys driver!) if I reboot with my keyboard plug in my system...

Attached Files:

21. thanatos_theos

thanatos_theos Registered Member

Atomas31, follow Mrkvonic's instruction # 1 and install the keyboard driver found here.

thanatos

22. Mrkvonic

Hello,

Try the following:

Choose the sskbfd.sys.
    Select update driver.
    1. When asked to connect to Microsoft for update, select No, not this time. Click Next.
    2. When asked where to look for the driver, select Install from a list or specific location (Advanced). Click next.
    3. When asked to search for the driver, choose: Do not search, I will choose the driver to install. Click next.

Simply select generic MS driver from the list.

If you can't find it, click Have Disk. Point to your Windows recovery driver. Let it find whatever it can find on the CD. See if you have the generic driver.

If this does not work, follow thanatos advice, download the driver and then specify the location of this driver in stage 3.

Finish. Reboot.

Good luck and cheers!
    Mrk

23. Atomas31

Thanks Thanatos_Theos for your link. The only problem is that this is the intellytype driver wich only allow to choose the key path that fit your keyboard and this is not the actual driver that make the keyboard work :-(

@Mrkvonic

I can exactly do what you indicated.
    When I select update driver, I can't choose sskbfd.sys or anything else for that matter, it simply start microsoft update and check for microsoft update in general (there are no update for my keyboard driver). Also, I am not ask to connect to microsoft for update, it simply do it in background.

Is there anyway to have the possibility to change the actual driver of my keyboard or to remove it from my system and redownload and reinstall a clean version of it (without the sskbfd.sys infuse with it!)o_O

Thanks for your help,
    Atomas31

24. GlobalForce

GlobalForce Regular Poster

One possibility should previous advice fail ....

My guess precisely!

GF

25. Atomas31

Hi GlobalForce,

Ok, I have made the CD (wich contains the bootdisk.exe transform in iso file) and when I try to install the recovery console by going to start/execute/ "d:\i386\winnt332.exe /cmdcons" this file ain't on the CD I have created by following all the instruction? Is there something else I can write on the execute box to install the recovery consoleo_O

Thanks,
    Atomas31

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.