How to remove HotSpot

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by flyted, Apr 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. flyted

flyted Registered Member

Installed Hotspot and then it started showing up as a virus a few months later in both my anti-virus program and Spybot, I tried to remove it and since there is no uninstall provided with it, tried deleteing individuals files. No luck. For some reason when I try to go to safe mode, my mouse stops wworking. Any ideas? Thanks

2. innerpeace

innerpeace Registered Member

Hotspot shield? Is it a Firefox add-on? What version of Windows and AV are you using?

3. flyted

flyted Registered Member

Hotspot is a free vpn. I have XP and Avast. I removed it via regedit and yet i still find it in search.

4. innerpeace

So it is or isn't called "hotspot shield"? When searching I need to narrow the results down. Also, what is the company's name if they have one?

Last edited: Apr 8, 2009
  5. LockBox

LockBox Registered Member

Search and remove all references to Anchorfree.

6. flyted

flyted Registered Member

I apologize for not giving all the information I should have. My computer problems are getting the better of me. It is HotSpot shield by AnchorFree. I searched both files and regedit for AnchorFree and found nothing. Ad-Aware recognized it as a level 10 virus, and since I removed, I've been getting tons of general error messages, timeouts, disconnects. I have dial-up, use ZoneAlarm, Spybot, and Avast anti-virus and all have found no problems. I also use Firefox, which seems to prevent most problems and I also have all the Microsoft updates. Looks, smells and feels like a virus, but I just cant find it, unless it is the Hotspot file I cant remove? Help.

7. flyted

flyted Registered Member

UPDATE: I now see a "The Browser Highlighter" Version 1.5 when a browser is opened, its also listed as a Firefox add-on, however I think that is the virus or linked to it as mozilla doesn't list a add-on by that name!

8. innerpeace

From what I'm reading it's supposed to have an uninstaller but folks are having problems with the hotspot shield driver HSsdrv.sys.

Here are a few links to glance through.
    http://www.deonandan.com/2009/03/hotspot-shield-and-vista.html
    http://gadget-reviews.info/2009/02/03/hssdrvsys-causing-blue-screen-error.aspx
    http://episteme.arstechnica.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/99609816/m/537007607931

Edit: We posted at the same time so I'm not sure about "the browser highlighter".

If you feel you need a couple of good free "scan only" antimalware programs look at MalwareBytes and SuperAntiSpyware. Dr.Web Cureit is also another good scanner.
    www.superantispyware.com
    www.malwarebytes.org
    http://www.freedrweb.com/cureit/

Last edited: Apr 10, 2009
  9. innerpeace

Last edited: Apr 10, 2009
  10. flyted

flyted Registered Member

I found the browser Highlighter solution, same link as you sent, right after my post last night and it can be fixed via Firefox tools/option/manage add-ons/delete. Thanks. That cured most of the problems just getting rid of that. I will check out the links you sent and report back. Thank you very much for your time involved and concern.

11. LockBox

LockBox Registered Member

The thing I don't like about HSS is their use of adware and a bloated, not always properly configured, VPN. It leaves several things enabled that should be disabled for true security and privacy.

Your post made me think again how many of these type posts you see on Wilders. With a good imaging program and a good, secure image, you could have just slapped that on and...problem be gone!

12. innerpeace

Your welcome :). It's also good to hear some of the problems are gone.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.