How to remove dumb software from Security Center

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by RejZoR, Sep 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bs259

bs259 Registered Member

Ok, Thanks RejZoR.

Billy S.

2. fubag

fubag Registered Member

hello

i just wanted to tell everyone that the security center reset software did not properly execute....

in fact it worked better by manually stopping the WMI service, deleting the repository folder, restarting WMI, and restarting the computer.

i think the software needs a bit more work, even after booting into safe mode the software failed to perform its task.

3. lodore

lodore Registered Member

did you uninstall your antivirus software before using the tool?
    if not you could screw it up even more.
    lodore

4. Cstrike dish

Cstrike dish Registered Member

yes, i agree with you!

5. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

If you have antiVir NOTHING WORKS to get the multiple instances of antiVir out of the Security Center. The vbs script antiVir sends you doesn't work and the deletion of the repository file in System32 folder appears to work but the moment you do an antiVir update another instance of antiVir appears in the Security Center.

I have always had the Security Center disabled but Belarc Advisor relies on it to get information to report what AV you are running. So, Belarc tells me I am running SIX INSTANCES of aVira because that is what the Security Center is reporting. Plus, supposedly I am running version 0.0.0.0. :(

6. pilotart

pilotart Registered Member

Until seeing this Thread, I only knew that the WSC would put up an instant warning if the AntiVir's Guard were turned off. It would also show a warning if Update had not been done in the past few days.

Since it has not caused any problems, I do not intend to try and 'Fix' it "if it ain't broke ..." idea:D

However my curiosity led me to have SiSandra(2005) take a Look and sure enough___________
    http://img104.imageshack.us/img104/60/sisandratv9.jpg
    Four AntiVir version 0.0.0.0 all up-to-date and two active and two not.

Windows Security also said "...found more than one..." but Configure AntiVir only opens one (correct) GUI.
    http://img71.imageshack.us/img71/4817/wscfz0.jpg

I know it is said "not to...", but both ZA and Windows Firewalls are active, why does it not catch that fact?

7. Londonbeat

Londonbeat Registered Member

I was having this problem, and so are others here: http://forum.antivir.de/thread.php?threadid=15856&sid=bd5efd392942a68118a107d36cea5e41
    I tried the tool by RejZor on this thread and it didn't remove it but the specific VBS script from avira (see avira forum link above) worked for me. Did you completely uninstall antivir before running the script?

Regards,
    Londonbeat

8. SteveS335

SteveS335 Registered Member

Hello Art & everyone else,

First post here. Using that fix to delete the repository that has been bandied about really does work - at least for me it did.

Now, as mele20 commented about updates adding another instance, I would suggest that it's only an engine update (the cause of this mess in the first place), not a VDF update. I think she just had bad luck with her timing, and Avira is aware & no doubt working on a fix.

Anyway, You lured me here Art, :D , mabey I'll stick around.

Steve (from the Avira forums)

9. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Well, for some VERY odd problem, automated tool just failes to do that sometimes. But if you erase the very same files by hand it works. WTF!?:rolleyes: :eek:

10. SteveS335

SteveS335 Registered Member

He heh,

I forgot to mention that the WMI service seemed to restart itself, so I had to stop it twice, perhaps that may be the issue?

Steve

11. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Well, i don't even have that service anymore (for god knows what reason). Windows Security Center seems to function as usual huh...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.