How to remove a stuck item in ADD/REMOVE Programs?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by WE Sim, Apr 18, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WE Sim

WE Sim Guest

Hi!

I was testing Dragon Naturally Speaking Pro v6.0 software a while ago and I faced a problem.

Installation and running of the software was perfect but I found that it wasn't up to my expectations and so I did and uninstall using ADD/REMOVE Programs from the Control Panel.

An error message pops up and at any rate removal cannot be proceeded from then on. So, I removed it the hard way by deleting the entire folder and using various registry cleaners and cleaned everything related to the software.

But now I'm stuck with the Dragon Naturally Speaking v6.0 item (supposed to be removed) in the ADD/REMOVE Programs which cannot be removed.

Could someone provide some tips or a software on how to remove this stucked item?

Thanks in advance.

2. snowman

snowman Guest

Re: How to remove a stuck item in ADD/REMOVE Progr

We Sim

I've had this problem in the past but for the life of me can't remember how I cleared it up......but I'll keep trying to recall what it was I did.

one program that comes to mind is TweakIU.......I have never used this program so can't attest to its value........it claims to be able to remove items from add/remove..........an was first made by M$...........you may want to check into it.     sorry I can't provided a link...but google should give some.

sorry I wasn't able to offer more.   good luck

snowman

3. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

I don't know about the other OS's, right off-hand, but with WinMe, if you click on Add/Remove for that entry and it won't un-install or has already been un-installed, it'll pop up a window asking you if you want the entry deleted.

Have you tried that since you cleared the program out manually?

This can also be done using TweakUI, if you have that on your computer ('Add/Remove' tab). Pete

4. Checkout;

Checkout; Guest

WE Sim,

One possibility is to use Window's Restore, and go back to a checkpoint before you installed the s/w or before you uninstalled it.  Try Help, and pick the System Restore feature, and let you be guided through the checkpoints.

I hope that helps.

5. Technodrome

Technodrome Security Expert

Use JV 16 Power Tools it's free and will remove the entry from ADD/REMOVE.

Get it from http://www.jv16.org/

Technodrome

6. Eagle1

Eagle1 Security Expert

You can remove those orphaned add/remove entries by finding this key in the registry
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall

Under this key will be a number of sub-keys, each representing an installed application.

To see which application these sub-keys represent open them and there should be at least two values 'DisplayName' and 'UninstallString'.
    'DisplayName' is the name used in the Add/Remove programs list and 'UninstallString' is the program used to uninstall the application.

To remove the program from the list just delete the appropriate sub-key and it will be gone from add/remove. That will do it. Hope that helps all!

Please remember to back up before messing with the registry. If your not comfortable in the registry don't use this method.  Try TweakUI.

7. WE Sim

WE Sim Guest

Hi everyone!

Thanks for all your suggestions.

Finally, I managed to get rid of the stucked item in the Add/Remove Programs by using jv16 PowerTools after looking in the wrong section.

Instead of going to the Registry Cleaner, I went to the Uninstall Menu in the Registry Tool and from there deleted the stucked item.

Thanks again

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.