How to remove a borked install of Firefox?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by wearetheborg, Aug 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wearetheborg

wearetheborg Registered Member

I am fixing my dads PC that had not been updated in 4 years.
    There is an old borked firefox install, whenever I run firefox, it says I have to reboot to finish an old install. Upon reboot, if I try to run firefox, same thing.

If I try to reinstall a new version of firefox into the Firefox directory, I guess it tries to uninstall it or something, because I get the same message.

There is no firefox in add/remove programs, or in CCleaner.

EDIT: Same as this guy:
    http://www.techimo.com/forum/applications-operating-systems/210116-firefox-3-install-problem.html

Last edited: Aug 8, 2010
  2. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

Just delete all the Mozilla Firefox folders by hand if you know how, then in the registry you delete them, that's all...

3. GlobalForce

GlobalForce Regular Poster

Sans version, OS .... your post's moot. Provide details and maybe we'll get somewhere.

4. GlobalForce

5. wearetheborg

It is XP home media center

I have no idea which version of firefox the borked install is, that XP install has not been on the internet for a while since before I have been fixing it...

6. wearetheborg

How do I find the registery entries for firefox?

7. GlobalForce

They're running Win XPsp2 Pro. They worked around it by installing to their user account. <== Not for you Borg, merely an FYI for others.

==========

As far as the comment offered by DasFox - with a reg cleaner. Search out Firefox, Mozilla ...

8. GlobalForce

Any extensions associated with this particular install? Still, I'd go with my second post. Or, on a tip - TAKE OWNERSHIP!

Last edited: Aug 8, 2010
  9. Searching_ _ _

Searching_ _ _ Registered Member

If you want something automated, Revo Uninstall Pro has a 30 day fully functional trial.
    The free version may not do what you need.
    or
    Regedit > Find

10. wearetheborg

Thanks GlobalForce, and Searching_ _ _
    I use linux as my main OS, so I am a bit rusty on these things, but learning rapidly due to the kindness of wilders members :)

I shall do the regedit find later when I get hold of the computer later today.

11. sportsfan7700

sportsfan7700 Registered Member

Fort Worth, Texas USA "Where the West Begins"
    playing devil's advocate here but would the freeware version of Revo Uninstaller help in this situation any to achieve an easier way of deleting the Firefox folders?

12. ABee

ABee Registered Member

There's a Mozilla Firefox folder in Program Files. The Mozilla profile folders are in Documents and Settings/[User name]/Application Data and Documents and Settings/[User name]/Local Settings/Application Data.
    You may need to enable 'show hidden files and folders' to see them. (Control Panel/Folder Options/View.)

It's important to remove those profile folders before attempting any reinstall of Firefox. Any profile is likely corrupted at this point, and you don't want a corrupted profile in place during a new install.
    You can always back them up somewhere first, in case you'd like to be able to import old bookmarks or something.

For the Registry, the main entries are in HKLM/Software and HKCU/Software. You can delete the entire 'Mozilla' key.

You can also check 'HKLM/Software/Microsoft/CurrentVersion/Run' and 'RunOnce' for any Mozilla or Firefox items listed there, and delete the specific entry (not the key, just the specific entry from the right-hand pane) if it exists.

Deleting keys and entries is not difficult, just make damn sure you're doing it correctly before you do it.

It might also be a good idea, before doing anything else, to first bring up Task Manager, and in 'Processes' highlight and then 'end process' for any 'firefox.exe' that may be running.
    If it is there, you'll get a warning when you go to end it, but answer 'yes'-- ending it is what you want to do.

I would expect that after doing these things, you'd be able to reboot the machine and not hear anything about Firefox finishing an installation.

13. wearetheborg

ABee, thanks for the detailed instructions...that fixed the issue!!

14. ABee

ABee Registered Member

You're welcome.

You might also want to check the Start Menu for shortcut listings, and delete any of those you find.

15. Warlockz

Warlockz Registered Member

I'm glad you fixed your problem.

You should still take a look at Revo Uninstaller for any of your future needs, Revo Uninstaller scans the registry and program folders ect, for any and all redundant files software leaves behind during uninstall and removes them.

16. wearetheborg

Bookmarked Revo uninstaller :D
    Wish there was a free version :D

17. LenC

LenC Registered Member

18. wearetheborg

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.