how to recover my network ??

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by patpat, Jun 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. patpat

patpat Registered Member

Windows 8 64
    I've unistalled ESS with the ESET uninstall tool
    Now I have not a single NIC working even after reinstalling drivers...
    How do I recover my PC w/o reinstalling...

ESS on 8 really sucks !

2. Janus

Janus Registered Member

3. patpat

patpat Registered Member

It did not solve the problem...
    I do not know what on earth ESS has done here...
    I cannot believe it... Now MS firewall refuses to start, an I have no network at all !
    The Windows 8 Pro is a fresh install on quality hardware; why do these guys say ESS is compatible with WIN 8 64? it's not only not compatible, but it also (so far) forces you to a full re-install.

4. SweX

SweX Registered Member

I see you say it's a fresh Win 8 installation. But do you have any other security software/s installed that could cause problems, or conflict with ESET?

5. SweX

SweX Registered Member

6. patpat

patpat Registered Member

My PC never had any other security software but ESS

That warning you quoted is not specially related to Windows 8, but I have deinstalled and re-installed all the networks drivers w/o making any difference...

NO network; MS Firewall refuses to load giving errors
    Event Id 5027 and 5028: "The Windows Firewall Service was unable to retrieve the security policy from the local storage. The service will continue enforcing the current policy. Error Code: 2147942413"

7. patpat

patpat Registered Member

Reinstalling EVERYTHING now...
    The ticket on this topic (3 days ago) has been absolutely ignored by ESET.
    I'm very mad.

PS: Please ESET say your ESS 6 is not compatible with Windows 8 64.
    if you guys do not say so I'll start a blog on this.

8. agoretsky

agoretsky Eset Staff Account

Hello,

I have had no problems at all with network adapters when running ESET Smart Security on Windows 8 Pro (x86, x64) or on Windows 8 Pro with Media Center (x64).

I would suggest that you contact your local ESET office in order to open a support ticket with a support engineer so they can help you examine the computer and determine what is going on with the network interfaces.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

9. patpat

patpat Registered Member

don't insult my intelligence...
    ESS does not control MS Firewall properly, applications requiring network services are triggering MS Firewall dialog boxes requiring user intervention.
    More than 2 days to get a simple Ethernet connection working and finally only worked after adding a rule to "MS Firewall", rule that was not persistent after reboot.
    Are you calling all of this having no problems between ESS and W8?
    ESS is far away from being correctly integrated with Windows 8.

ESS removal tool made my network layer completely unusable and forced me to re-install the whole OS to recover my network.

About the ticket it was opened like 5 day ago now; so far I got not a single answer...

Now I'm reluctant to install ESS plus checking Microsoft compatibility site you can see ESET products have ALL reports exposing compatibility issues; then I think you guys have to produce better quality soon...

10. agoretsky

Hello,

Under Microsoft Windows 8, the ESET Personal Firewall was implemented using Microsoft's own Windows Filtering Platform API, per their instructions on how to do so.

From my prior experience in the network stack circa the Vista timeframe, I do know that the Windows Firewall component is loaded at an early point during the initialization of the operating system to provide hardening for the network stack and services before the operating system is fully functional, and it stays active until the base filtering engine is running, even if the firewall service is disabled. That is a basic security function, and as far as I know, carried forward in subsequent operating systems. This is not central to the issue at hand, but I did want you to understand that the Windows Firewall component is always present on a system, and at some point is active, even if it disabled later on when the OS finishes initialing and handing off to whatever third-party WFP callout driver is present, like ESET Personal Firewall.

ESET's software is certified as compatible with Windows 8, which means it has passed through all of Microsoft's interoperability tests, including those specifically designed for third-party firewalls. Also, a search through the messages in the forum does not show anything readily identifiable as the same issue. Since the ESET Smart Security installed correctly (or, at least, I did not specifically see any error messages from ESET's software in your messages, above) I am left wondering if there might be some kind of corruption (file, registry value, etc.) affecting the network stack, or incompatibility with another third-party piece of software installed on the computer in addition to Microsoft Windows 8 and ESET Smart Security.

You mentioned that you opened a ticket on the issue with ESET. Can you please tell me the ticket number? I will then go ahead, contact ESET's engineers and arrange an escalation of the issue.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

11. patpat

patpat Registered Member

you seem to overlook certain facts like
    1) ESET not controlling MS Firewall
    2) MS Firewall suddenly appearing asking user intervention...
    3) MS Firewall needing user provided rules for allowing a local "Ethernet" connection or VMware virtual NICs.
    4) ESET removal tool damaging the Networking Engine on Windows 8
    5) Even when certified by Microsoft many users flag ESET as not W8 compatible within MS website.

I do not care about a certification that does not work in the field. Your ESS does not work in 8; If I were you I'd spend time FIXING it rather than trying to convince us that it is really compatible when it is not.

12. agoretsky

Hello,

Unfortunately, I cannot seem to find any evidence of a widespread issue such as you are speculating about, nor am I able to reproduce anything based on the information you have provided. If you are able to locate the ticket number for the issue you opened with ESET's technical support, please let me know and I will escalate the issue with ESET's engineers. If not, please feel free to send me a PM with information such as your name, email address or a phone number and I will pass that along to see if they can locate your ticket number.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

13. patpat

patpat Registered Member

cut the crap.
    is MS Firewall popping up windows after ESS took control YES or NO?
    You have your evidence "right there" fix the thing and stop playing games

I've been forced to REINSTALL everything because of your FIREWALL and your "removal" tool.

escalate the ticket now?? what for?? I've reinstalled EVERYTHING but ESS and everything works now, but I have paid for a 3 Years ESS license (oh yea I used to love ESET) but now I'm not reinstalling it until you guys get serious about Window 8 compatibility.

I have been using ESET for VERY LONG time; I never got this sort of problems before...

14. agoretsky

Hello,

I wish I could tell you that this was happening all over the place and that ESET was aware of the issue and working on a fix so you could have some idea of what was going on, but your report is the only one I could find.

I have four systems running Microsoft Windows 8 Pro x64 with VMware Workstation installed (Asus P6T Deluxe v1 desktop; ThinkPads W510, X120e and X220) and I have not been able to reproduce this myself. I have also looked in VMware's own support forum to see if there are any reports of the issue there, and in Microsoft Answers, where the only report of the issue there is, again, yours.

That does not mean that the problem does not occur, though, as you clearly stated that you experienced it.

Ideally, ESET would work with you to further investigate the issue and resolve it by doing things like looking at memory dumps, process logs, step-by-step repro instructions and even things like screen captures and videos that you might make to show how the issue occurs on the computer.

But without any kind of of information like that to give ESET some pointers about how to reproduce the issue there does not really seem to be anything else to do at this point.

If you do change your mind and would like to get the issue resolved, give ESET's support engineers a call toll-free at +1 (866) 343-3738 and they will be able to assist you in troubleshooting the issue.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.