How to read an external HDD on win98SE ?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Ashanta, Jul 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ashanta

Ashanta Registered Member

Hi,

I bought an external HDD, formatted on a ntfs partition.

My questions is:

How do I recognize my external HDD on Win98SE ?

After that, can I save datas to my external HDD ?

Thanks in advance

2. OldMX

OldMX Registered Member

Windows 98 cant read or write to NTFS partitions, you'll need to reformat the drive to fat32 to use it.

3. tgell

tgell Registered Member

I have not used this but you might want to try it before formatting to FAT32.

NTFS for Win98 (free for personal use)

4. MisterB

MisterB Registered Member

You will also need to install a USB Mass Storage Driver. The driver for USB drives didn't come with Windows 98. If the driver is installed, Windows 98 will see the NTFS drive but won't be able to read it.

5. noone_particular

noone_particular Registered Member

The Paragon product works well on 98SE. For the USB problem, NUSB drivers for 98 are available here. http://www.mdgx.com/web.htm#NUS The drivers are USB 2.0 capable if your hardware is.

6. Ashanta

With NUS will be able to make compatible my external HDD (ntfs partition) on win98SE ?

7. Ashanta

Hi guys,

I forgot to mention that I don't plan to format my partition as I wanted to save my datas from my old computer to my external HDD.

8. noone_particular

The NUSB drivers will enable 98 to wok with the external hard drive. Paragon's NTFS for 98 will enable 98 to read the NTFS partition on that device. You'll need both.

9. Ashanta

Hi noon_particular,

Sorry to come bac again, but I have still a few questions :

Once I installed NUSB and Paragon NTFS, do I need to do something particular in order to accept a ntfs partition ??

Will I be ready to copy from fat32 (win98SE) to NTFS partition ??

10. noone_particular

I don't have an NTFS formatted external hard drive to test with. Mine is all FAT32. On my physical 98SE system, the FAT32 formatted external drive behaves like any other drive. I can copy, paste, edit, and run apps from it without issues.

On Virtual PC, I created a dual boot 98SE and Win 2k unit with 2 separate virtual hard drives, FAT32 and NTFS respectively. With NTFS for 98 installed, I can move and copy files between the 2 drives. I can also create and edit files on the virtual NTFS drive from 98.

While I don't have the means to test them together, I see no problems with accessing an external NTFS drive from 98 as long as both the driver and app are working.

You will have to specify a drive letter for the NTFS drive. You will also need copies of several files from an NT system. Copied from it's help file:
    After you install NTFS for 98, check thhat your autoexec.bat file contains a line like this:
    C:\Progra~1\Winter~1\NTFSO~1\ntfschk.exe /q *

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.