How to purchase private email?

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by Fontaine, Jul 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fontaine

Fontaine Registered Member

How can I purchase a Hushmail account when I have to use my visa, mastercard, or paypal? How do I maintain my privacy by doing this?

Do I have to try and use a gift card that works for online purchases?

2. x942

x942 Guest

Well I wouldn't use hushmail to start with as there has been evidence they turn over your data as soon as a warrant is served. But if that is not an issue for you I would use a prepaid Vanilla master card or Visa card. These make you set a name and address before ordering online but this can be anything.

3. box750

box750 Registered Member

You can pay Hushmail with an international money order and send it by post to their Canadian office, the money order choice can be selected on step 3 where it says "Choose Payment method". If you want an alternative to Hushmail, AnonymousSpeech email service allows for payments via Western Union, bank wiring or sending of cash inside an envelope in the post.

4. nightrace

nightrace Registered Member

How much privacy you have when making online payments depends on the number of steps you take and how much over the purchase price you are willing to spend. All digital currencies, including Bitcoin, can be traced and exchangers like Mt Gox will cooperate with law enforcement. However, you can make it impractical. You can do things like use multiple e-currency accounts, e-currency to e-currency exchangers, prepaid cards and anonymous email. For example, you could have multiple anonymous accounts with Pecunix and Liberty Reserve for dealing with an offshore exchanger, use SuperChange to convert between currencies, and purchase prepaid cards from a non-US source or through Tor's hidden web. Unless you are the world's most wanted terrorist no one is going to follow your money trail.

I would also add that an email service, whether free or paid, based in your own or a compliant/friendly country is a poor choice. The legal obstacles presented by offshore datacentres are likely more important to privacy than promises of third-party encryption. Hushmail is in Canada, S-Mail is in Russia and MuteMail is in the Bahamas. Something to think about.

5. bryanjoe

bryanjoe Registered Member

unless you need that 10gig on the premium..... otherwise the free ones are just as good... do some housekeeping once awhile...

6. Fontaine

Fontaine Registered Member

Thanks everyone for responses so far. I think a vanilla mastercard/visa is the only way to go.

bryanjoe, i don't need the big account - the free is adequate (I think). However, my original post applies to a broader problem of not being able to purchase anonymity services, as an anonymous person.

I guess gift cards, even though they do not work with all sites (even the vanilla that you register online), are the last option for us.

7. bryanjoe

bryanjoe Registered Member

hi there,

maybe i dont get it right.....
    anonymous payment for an email subscription? it doesn't makes any sense..
    unless u r using it sending out poison letters, "bashing" someone, whistle blowing etc..... and u r soley use it for such purposes.....

and u shouldnt use that same email to subscribe forums, newletters, facebook, google+, etc..... else how to be anonymous?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.