How to protect privacy when using "community" apps?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by bellgamin, Nov 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rivalen

Rivalen Registered Member

I was a bit doubtful about Cyberhawk community thing. Maybe because its a young product and I dont know what will happen to it. I wish that they would use this marketing period they are in now to give the users as much info as possible about what they are sending home in realtime with options for users that dont want those popups to shut them down and tick "never show this again". I know I could still be vulnerable to all sorts of scams from an unserious vendor (talking general now - not specifically CH - I am not overworried about them), but at least an open dialog like described about PrevX gives a good impression - and that is a good start.

Hope CH support feels like commenting on this line of discussion again.

After a free version - I view the free versions as marketing - normally comes a paid version - will be interesting to see what the difference will be for CH.

I use Outpost and it has a Feedback feature (sort of community) that I allow because Agnitum is so established and I have used it since version 1 and the Feedback came on somewhere along version 3 something. So I feel safe there and probably will with CH also somewhere in the future.

Edit: Put CH back on and let OP block all internetaccess for all 3 of CHs processes - will leave it like that for a while and suppose it protects me just as well as if it had access. Since communityaccess set to off is automatically set back to on after reboot I must let OP do the job. Probably just temporary meassures.

Best Regards

Last edited: Nov 29, 2006
  2. Wai_Wai

Wai_Wai Registered Member

I think the same logic holds true if I encrypt my data after the rogue software is installed. But the encrypted data is safe if it is done before. Sure your data may be at risk when you decrypt it, but I think a legitimate software won't go too far like that. Thus the encryption method may be one of the solution of the poster problem.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.