How to prevent overwriting backups?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by rkruz, Mar 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rkruz

rkruz Registered Member

How can I have TIV10 stop from overwritting past full backups. There is a .bat file provided in the Knowledge base for this. But that is very complicated to install. ANyway I tried and it doesnt work. Just give me a failed to backup message and then deletes the previous backup.

How can I prevent the past fulls from being overwritten.
    thanks

2. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hello rkruz,

As you have just raised this new thread, which contains more/better details, I've deleted your previous thread on the same subject.

Regards
    Menorcaman

3. rkruz

rkruz Registered Member

any help here anyone?

4. Ralphie

Ralphie Registered Member

Would copying them to another location work for you or you want something automatic?

5. rkruz

rkruz Registered Member

I guess it has to be automatic because these backups go to the same drive and the only way I can be sure its being done is to have it done automatically.

6. shieber

shieber Registered Member

The batch file methods work (giving unique names to the backups and deleting old one automatically) but they are a bit of a pain to set up, one little typo and it won't work correctly at all *and* then it's hard to remember some of the steps whenever you need to go back and change anything. But while it's working though, it's pretty nifty.

A terrific improvement over the batch files is to use ATI 10 and the Managed Backup locations and the Task Scheduler to create backup tasks that save to the Managed Backup Locations. Set up them up accdording to the manual and you can forget about fiddling with your backups -- it will all be on autopilot. Once you've gone through the stuff inthe manual, you can make changes later, if necessary, just by using the wizards.

I like to use the windows task scheduler to start the tasks made in ATI because the window stask scheduler will wake a machine from standby (S3) and the ATI scheduler won't. But that's a complication one doesn't have to bother with if the standby issue isn't relevent to your situation.

By the way. I wonder why ATI's scheduler can't work like Raxco's PerfectDisk scheduler -- it knows how to wake up a machine form standby without having to run through the windows task scheduler. Must be some "trick" involved that Acronis hasn't caught on to yet.

7. rkruz

rkruz Registered Member

I dont understand. How does the "Managed BAckup" locations prevent old full backups from being overwritten? How does one implement that?
    thanks

8. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello rkruz,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are sorry for the delayed response.

Acronis Backup Locations is a solution designed to automate backup file management. The older backups stored via a backup location will not get overwritten unless you specify a rule for that. To create a backup location please choose "Create and configure backup locations" from "Tools" menu, or choose "Create backup location" from the "Backup locations" category. You can learn more about Acronis Backup Locations from the chapter 7 "Backup locations management" of the respective User's Guide.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.