How to mount TC disk without passwd.

Discussion in 'encryption problems' started by bodzio, Dec 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bodzio

bodzio Registered Member

somehow TC is not accepting my passwd. i took disk to friend and we tried to crack it like this: http://www.tateu.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=246

i do have my password and i assume just 3 characters inside are wrong (possibly).

yet the documputer cannot see the TC drive [sees it as empty] disk. so i cant run any program as thry all ask for some .iso or .t file.

any ideas how to run my diskso it can be then cracked?

2. dantz

dantz Registered Member

Does TC see the disk when you click on Select Device?

3. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

Years ago, one of my whole-disk TC-encrypted flash drives didn't show up in Select Device, but mounted OK using Auto-Mount Devices. But, a few weeks later, it bricked.

4. bodzio

bodzio Registered Member

computer sees it as empty disk [because files are encrypted]. it says how much of data is used but doesnt show single file there, justk nows theres data used.

i dont know what to do, since none of programs can take it.

TC sees all my disks [and partitions on it].

when i try to mount it with truecrypt it always wants my password [which i obviously dont have]. i can only mount partitions not whole HD somehow.
    anything left?

5. dantz

dantz Registered Member

Windows can't do much with an encrypted disk or partition. That's normal. If you encrypt an entire disk then the disk will show up in Disk Manager as RAW & uninitialized, and Windows will offer to initialize, partition and then format it. If you encrypt a partition then the partition will show up in both Disk Manager and Explorer, but Windows won't see any valid contents and will offer to format it. An encrypted file is merely a file, and Windows can handle that just fine. It just can't open it or see anything meaningful inside. In all three cases all that Windows sees is a big block of meaningless-looking data, whether it is on a disk, in a partition or in a file. The only convenient way to access and decrypt the encrypted data is to use TrueCrypt.

Your best bet is to try to discover the missing portion of your password by using either OTFBrutusGUI or some other TC password cracking tool. If you are only missing three characters and you can narrow down their positions then the task might be doable. Are you having trouble selecting your volume in the program interface? If so then you probably just need to learn how to use OTFBrutusGUI. I suggest creating a small TC test container and practicing on that.

Also, please clarify: Are you dealing with a fully-encrypted drive, an encrypted partition, or an encrypted file?

(edit: typos)

Last edited: Jan 1, 2013
  6. bodzio

bodzio Registered Member

i have 100% encrypted drive that has 4 partitions.

all programs that are cracking password ask me to give them keyfile location or some .tc file. i have no files i just have my drive. drive has 4 partition that are fully encrypted. TV sees partitions but cant mountthem since i dont hvae password. is that more clear?

im new to cracking anything or having problems with TC so i may not be giving info. speaking shiorty i dont know how ot make full drive attached to cracking program, because it wants some files or some content not just a drive.

7. dantz

dantz Registered Member

In OTFBrutusGUI, when you click on Select Device you should see a device selection screen that lists all available hard drives and partitions. For example, one of the choices might read as follows: \\?\GLOBALROOT\Device\Harddisk1\Partition1. Select the desired partition or drive from the list, then set up the password search etc.

8. starfish_001

starfish_001 Registered Member

9. *Sigh* another one of these threads.... Is it the same guy over & over again?

Sorry but if you lost your password format.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.