How to merge incremental backups?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by scharf, Oct 9, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. scharf

scharf Registered Member

Hi,

I am doing regular incremental backups

backup.tib (25GB)
    backup2.tib (2GB)
    backup3.tib (8GB) // defragmentation of disk
    backup4.tib (3GB)
    backup5.tib (2GB)

After a while my backup disk is full. I could create a totally new full backup, but this requires 25GB of additional space. I could delete all old backups, but that's dangerous. I want to keep at least 3 generations of backups. Therefore I need a lot of backup disk space, to keep 2 full backups + a few increments.

I want to merge backup.tib, backup2.tib, backup3.tib to a new backup.tib and backup4.tib and backup5.tib should be increment on the new snapshot.

Alternatively, I thought, I could plug backup3.tib and create a a bakup of the plugged disk. Unfortunately True Image does not allow to backup plugged images. So, I would have to use another disk, restore backup3.tib. Backups the restored image....

Is there a reason, why a plugged image cannot be backed up?

What is the proposed solution to have always at least n (e.g. n=3) incremental backups?

Michael

2. jswilson

jswilson Registered Member

3. Chadmi

Chadmi Registered Member

I had the same issue as you and this is what I did to make it work for me. I use three hard drives C: for Programs only, D: for Data only and E: for backup images.

I my case:
    I schedule four full backups for C:drive (programs). Each schedule runs once a month, consecutive on each Monday of the month. They over right themselves once a month.

I schedule seven backups for D:drive (data). Each schedule runs once a week on consecutive days. They over right themselves once a week.

This way you don't need to work with incremental backups and your drive won't fill up.

See attached example.
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 9, 2005
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.