How to merge incremental backups?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by scharf, Oct 9, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. scharf

scharf Registered Member

Mar 16, 2005

I am doing regular incremental backups

backup.tib (25GB)
    backup2.tib (2GB)
    backup3.tib (8GB) // defragmentation of disk
    backup4.tib (3GB)
    backup5.tib (2GB)

After a while my backup disk is full. I could create a totally new full backup, but this requires 25GB of additional space. I could delete all old backups, but that's dangerous. I want to keep at least 3 generations of backups. Therefore I need a lot of backup disk space, to keep 2 full backups + a few increments.

I want to merge backup.tib, backup2.tib, backup3.tib to a new backup.tib and backup4.tib and backup5.tib should be increment on the new snapshot.

Alternatively, I thought, I could plug backup3.tib and create a a bakup of the plugged disk. Unfortunately True Image does not allow to backup plugged images. So, I would have to use another disk, restore backup3.tib. Backups the restored image....

Is there a reason, why a plugged image cannot be backed up?

What is the proposed solution to have always at least n (e.g. n=3) incremental backups?

2. jswilson

jswilson Registered Member

Oct 5, 2005
  3. Chadmi

Chadmi Registered Member

Sep 22, 2005
    I had the same issue as you and this is what I did to make it work for me. I use three hard drives C: for Programs only, D: for Data only and E: for backup images.

I my case:
    I schedule four full backups for C:drive (programs). Each schedule runs once a month, consecutive on each Monday of the month. They over right themselves once a month.

I schedule seven backups for D:drive (data). Each schedule runs once a week on consecutive days. They over right themselves once a week.

This way you don't need to work with incremental backups and your drive won't fill up.

See attached example.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 9, 2005
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.