How to make Windows Recovery Media for BRCompact?

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by brocks, Jan 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brocks

brocks Registered Member

I'm using the BRCompact that they gave away last week, and the help file says I can make a recovery disk in Linux, WindowsPE, or Dos.

My problem is I don't know Linux, but every time I use the menu to make a recovery disk, it comes out Linux. I see no option to change it. I tried writing it to a USB stick, and I tried writing it to a CD, which gave me the option of adding files. In both cases, everything works, the media boots, and I get the BR menu, but the only option for a command line is in Linux.

I need a Windows command line so I can start TrueCrypt (which I added to the recovery media in the CD option) so I can get to my images, which are on encrypted partitions. Even from the Linux command line, when I entered "help" to see the list of available commands, "mount" was not one of them.

Am I missing something in the menus, or is Linux the only built-in option? Is there any way I can create a Windows-based boot CD manually?

Thanks for any help.

2. brocks

brocks Registered Member

By trying absolutely everything, I found that if I boot into "safe" mode from the recovery CD, the command line option is in DOS, and I know enough DOS to get around. But it seems to be useless --- the DOS environment it puts you into is a RAM Disk that doesn't seem to be aware of any hard drives, or even other folders on the recovery CD.

If I just made a bootable DOS CD from scratch, and copied the DOS folders from Paragon's ISO image, would that work?

3. Paragon_Tommy

Paragon_Tommy Paragon Moderator

Hello Brock,

The Linux disk is standard and do not really allow command line actions or running any additional programs with it. I suggest building a BartPE CD using the Paragon plugin and TrueCrypt plugin. This way you'll have both programs under one roof, and from what I understand, BartPE has a Windows command line.

Here is the instruction to create the BartPE CD with Paragon:
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=257771

And here for the TrueCrypt.
    http://www.paraglidernc.com/plugins/truecrypt.htm

Last edited: Jan 29, 2010
  4. brocks

brocks Registered Member

Thanks for the links. Actually I got TrueCrypt working with BartPE without any plugins; TC's newest version, at least, works standalone, so all you have to do is add the files to the disk during creation. I would never have figured out how to get the BR stuff to work, though. I'll try it this weekend --- thanks again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.