How to make my computer invisible in Internet?

Discussion in 'LnS English Forum' started by nicoman, Apr 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nicoman

nicoman Registered Member

You have it.
    for example: C:\Program Files\Soft4Ever\looknstop\
    There is: EnhancedRulesSet.rls

Chose Internet Filtering and press Load

2. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Many thanks, I am very green to LnS

Cheers :D

3. Kush

Kush Registered Member

4. Kush

Kush Registered Member

Hello nicoman.

Yes,I have been using it for 2 1/2 years on a Lan.

5. nicoman

THX a lot Kush :)

6. Kush

Kush Registered Member

Hello nicoman,

You are very welcome.

7. Stephanos G.

Stephanos G. Registered Member

Thanks Kush, your help was valuable. I have loaded the EnhancedRulesSet.rls.
    Just i dont know hot to use the dll protection, but i think is not so important at this moment:) It look very good this firewall. For some reason i think that is look like nod32 which i like too much
    thanks.

if u have some other comment about configuration, is welcome:)

is it true that the licence is for a life time?

8. Kush

Kush Registered Member

Hello Stephanos G,

Glad to be of help,yes LnS is yours for life unless LnS goes to a higher verion like 3.0,there would be a charge,not the full cost of LnS,but some kind of fee,not sure how much I don't think it was ever told,it was talked about, but that's about it.But if you don't want the upgrade if one comes out,LnS would still be yours,regardless and won't ever expire on you.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2005
  9. Stephanos G.

smt else if u can help me.
    i checked the ports in shields up.

Ping Reply: RECEIVED (FAILED) — Your system REPLIED to our Ping (ICMP Echo) requests, making it visible on the Internet. Most personal firewalls can be configured to block, drop, and ignore such ping requests in order to better hide systems from hackers. This is highly recommended since "Ping" is among the oldest and most common methods used to locate systems prior to further exploitation.

I ahve read relative threats but i dont have any router. Why is happening this?

10. Kush

Kush Registered Member

Hello,

Did you touch anything in the rule-set by mistake? That was my problem 2 1/2 years ago,I went to each rule one by one,and found I did something to the rule-set,but I did a save as before I touched it,reloaded the original rule-set before I mixed it up and everything worked perfect,it can also be something in your configuration of LnS,Did you enable Anti-flood protection? in the option tab,then look for the advanced options box ,click on it and you will see dill protection,Anti-flood,TCP Stateful Packet Inspection,and the rest is your choice, if you want the rest check them all,please try to enable the above listed,reboot.. and tell me if you still are not passing the test?,thanks

11. Stephanos G.

still the same problem

Attached Files:

• a.gif
      a.gif
      File size:
      9.3 KB
      Views:
  12. Stephanos G.

I have a dsl connection. My modem is a USB modem, not ethernet.

13. Kush

Kush Registered Member

Looks fine,there was another person who had the same problem as you in this thread around post #12, I think? you will see it and the person problem was fixed,it can be many things but it is not LnS,just something in your configuration is not correct,I wish I could help you more,but I would have to see your computer in front of me,to tell you what you are doing wrong,if the first page does not help you? I am sure there is somebody on this site who can help you more than I.Just repost and somebody well help you to find what is wrong, it does take time to learn LnS,good luck

14. Stephanos G.

Which settings r the best?

enhancedRulesSet or Phantom's v6?

15. Kush

Kush Registered Member

Hello,Stephanos G.,

Please read post #13 on this thread by no13 Major Resident Nutcase,he summed it up very good. All the best!,and good luck.

16. nicoman

Well I have a stupid question but what means this "guidlines" (guidelines) :/ Not good in English you know :/

17. Kush

Kush Registered Member

Hello,

Sorry about that,if you are going to use Phant0m`` Rule-set $v6 Final there are things that have to be enabled by you,for example: +Anti-MAC Spoofing,you must enter your Mac Address,in the field Source Ethernet Address you will see an address like 00:00:xx:00:00:00,but you use your Mac Address,not the one that is in Phant0m rule set,that's just an example,then you also have to Retrieve your Primary & Secondary DNS Servers and add them in your rule-set DNS -Allowed 1 and you may have to
    add more rules depending on you IP(I have 3 DnS)so you have to know your BOOTP / DHCP setup if this sounding confusing?,and I can tell you much,much more because there is more to it,but I think it is best to first understand and really learn each rule of the EnhancedRulesSet.rls.,and then when you feel comfortable,try Phant0m`` Rule-set ,it will only make you more confused,if you try it on your first few day's of the trial,but if you can understand this hole link
    http://www.fluxgfx.com/ssc/forumdisplay.php?f=5

without any problems? then it is not a problem to use it!,and that's why I tell people to learn the EnhancedRulesSet.rls first ,I am only trying to help you out not telling you what to do,please understand me,I am just trying to help you,and if you don't understand the link above it is best to learn the EnhancedRulesSet.rls first,hope this helps,LnS some people
    learn it right away ,other people it can take much longer if you have never used a rulebased firewall before.,so it really comes down which one do you understand? and fits your needs?and it was very hard for me being a user of ZA pro user for 41/2 years I knew not a thing about rulebased firewalls just because I used a out of the box protection firewall
    ,but I was lucky some people have helped me out to understand Phant0m`` Rule-set from the start,which took weeks!until I knew what each rule was doing for me and what they all mean,it was very confusing to say the least,I know a lot about computers but that did not help when it came it LnS at all! ,its like anything new it takes time until you truly understand it completely,its good to take a break,I did the mistake of staying up for day's until I got it function correctly and understand Phant0m`` Rule-set ,really is not the best thing to do ,just that there is much more to Phant0m`` Rule-set ,then the EnhancedRulesSet,so good luck if you relax and don't become frustrated you will like LnS,I know I was frustrated with LnS at the start and have no shame in admitting that,I was a zone lab rat user ,and learned nothing all those years and got hacked with that firewall,hope you give it a few day's,and it does grow on you in time,good luck and all the best!

18. Trooper

Trooper Registered Member

It would be nice if someone here could do up a tutorial for the most secure setup of LNS. (Similar to what Blackspear has done with NOD32). Which would include screenshots etc.

I am ready to try LNS again, and would like to know what other goodies I should enable disable, aside from the aforementioned rulesets.

Anyone up to that challenge?

Thanks and Regards,

Jag

19. Stephanos G.

I agree with Jaquar. We need a tutorial for the most secure setup of LNS. (Similar to what Blackspear has done with NOD32). Which would include screenshots etc.

Thanks

20. no13

no13 Retired Major Resident Nutcase

Actually, Phant0m's ruleset on FluxGFX comes with a really helpful 'manual' so to speak, in the form of his thread. Just click on the link provided ;) and you'll see the step-by-step tutorial.

21. White Window

White Window Guest

This maybe of interest to you both

Look 'n' Stop is a rule based firewall that allows you to filter all incoming traffic into your computer by setting up rules for individual ports and protocols. The firewall comes pre-configured with a basic ruleset that filters most common attacks, however requires the skills of a network administrator or user with networking knowledge to be fine tune for your individual needs. Look 'n' Stop is fully featured and lightweight.

22. no13

no13 Retired Major Resident Nutcase

Ugh.
    <rant>
    If you want Out Of The Box protection.... don't use a firewall. Cut the Lan/Wan cabes and burn the Lan Card and modem.
    EVERY product requires custom configuration, since every user's needs and situations are different. This is even more true of a firewall.
    If you don't want to configure a firewall, get Zone Alarm, and live with your choice. People make the switch when they find ZA to be really flimsy. then they know that firewalls must be configured properly to work poperly. THAT was the strength of KERIO v2. THAT is the strength of LOOK'N'STOP. ~configurability~. This is a reason why some system administrators like to use Tiny PF. Even on their home PCs.
    </rant>
    and by the way, Phant0m' description for making rule is really easy. If you want to configure the firewall, he shows you STEP-BY-STEP what to do. It's like a neurosurgeon performing maintenance on a plasma booster. You just gotta see the manual, the rest is easy.

23. Stephanos G.

Nice with phantom configuration. Can somebody explain in detail his rules one by one so as to know more

24. Phant0m

Phant0m Registered Member

25. Stephanos G.

Really it helps! Thanks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.