How to make my computer invisible in Internet?

Discussion in 'LnS English Forum' started by nicoman, Apr 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nicoman

nicoman Registered Member

How to make my computer invisible in Internet? Maybe can somebody write something about that? Greetings.

2. Kush

Kush Registered Member

Use the EnhancedRulesSet.rls load it and your in stealth mode,if your not? it's something you are doing wrong,not LnS.

3. nicoman

I have the EnhancedRulesSet.rls and it's still the same :/

4. ego

ego Guest

I did a GRC test now

All service ports test:
    1033 open, 4 stealth, 1051 closed
    TruStealth: FAILED - NOT all tested ports were STEALTH,
    - NO unsolicited packets were received,
    - A PING REPLY (ICMP Echo) WAS RECEIVED.

I have the enchancedruleset loaded, and enabled some advanced options

5. ego

ego Guest

1033 meant port 1033
    4 ports stealted
    the others where closed

6. ego

ego Guest

Did the same test with Kerio 4.20 beta with Default options

2 Ports Open
    2 Ports Closed
    1052 Ports Stealth
    ---------------------
    1056 Ports Tested

Ports found to be OPEN were: 1028, 1033

Ports found to be CLOSED were: 1026, 1031

Other than what is listed above, all ports are STEALTH.

TruStealth: FAILED - NOT all tested ports were STEALTH,
    - NO Ping reply (ICMP Echo) was received.

I got better results with Kerio.. I eill have to say that Look n stop offers lower protection than the competitors... Its better if LnS authors started improving the protection the firewall offers and don't care about those stupid leak tests (example LnS and Outpost, sorry).

7. no13

no13 Retired Major Resident Nutcase

actually, The results from GRC reflect the capabilities of both the firewall product AND user competency at configuring the firewall.

try changing the configurations of both to see better results.

8. ego

ego Guest

If you mean writing your own ruleset, then,..
    As I said before,I had LnS with Enchanched Rules and Used many of the advanced options (stateful inspection etc etc). i even used the latest drivers found here... But, I couldn;t get good results...

9. no13

just add your own rules to the bottom. You must read manuals first.

10. JimBob2000

JimBob2000 Registered Member

I guess I don't understand why folks have problems showing "stealth" on the various testing sites. I wonder what weird things or unsafe things they do? Or don't they follow instructions.
    I showed "stealth" out of the box when I got LnS without any changes except the enhanced rule set. In fact, I show "stealth" with all the firewalls I have tried, such as Norton(before I knew better), McAfee, Outpost, 8signs and Sygate and of course LnS. Kasperski Antihacker took a few adjustments. I have cable access and NO router.

11. Kush

Kush Registered Member

Hello,

It sounds like it is something to do with your configuration set-up,if your still around? try this rule-set. It is for more advanced user's,but if you don't pass this test with this rule-set ,it is something your are are doing incorrect.

Please try this Rule-Set out below, you have to learn more rule's and some, you have to enable yourself,so that's why I did not mention it,because you should really undersand the EnhancedRulesSet.rls first,because if your not getting stealth? it is not LnS,I thought that at first myself 2 years ago,when I first used the 30 day trial,but in the end it was me! Not LnS! most people give up to easliy,if you just take the time to learn, it will work! and it is a very good firewall[IMO]

The below is a rule-set written by (Phant0m),he is a software reviewer,and he is the Author of this rule-set,and the site is very good also and all the informatiom is there, with pictures on how to set it up, good luck and if you don't pass it? it is not LnS!,All the Best!

http://www.fluxgfx.com/ssc/showthread.php?t=14

Last edited: Apr 28, 2005
  12. ego

ego Guest

After a reinstallation

Phant0m
    Results from scan of ports: 0-1055

0 Ports Open
    0 Ports Closed
    1056 Ports Stealth
    ---------------------
    1056 Ports Tested

ALL PORTS tested were found to be: STEALTH.

TruStealth: PASSED - ALL tested ports were STEALTH,
    - NO Ping reply (ICMP Echo) was received

Enchanced Ruleset

Results from scan of ports: 0-1055

0 Ports Open
    0 Ports Closed
    1056 Ports Stealth
    ---------------------
    1056 Ports Tested

ALL PORTS tested were found to be: STEALTH.

TruStealth: PASSED - ALL tested ports were STEALTH,
    - NO Ping reply (ICMP Echo) was received.

Both Passed... There must be some problem with the updated drivers or something because after the reinstallation everything works fine...

Because both rulesets provide perfect protection, which one do you suggest..?

13. no13

Phant0m's rules are more secure if you've followed the guidlines ;)

14. ego

ego Guest

One more thing.
    While I was using Kerio, it asked me several times about blocking incoming TCP...
    LnS has never asked this kind of thing... Does it block them automatically...?

15. nicoman

Is this driver also for LAN because I'm not sure? :/

16. Kush

Kush Registered Member

Hello and yes it does, if you take a look at your log file,or rule-set,you will see there is a rule called +TCP : Block incoming connections,it does it for you no need to add a rule since it is already there protecting you,I like to use Phant0m's rule-set,but like no13 said"quote Phant0m's rules are more secure if you've followed the guidlines "end quote.

Glad you did not give up yet!,it really is a good firewall just takes some reading and then it is very simple,but many people want out of the box protection,which is not alway's better,since I was Hacked using the so called No#1 firewall in the world!,which suck's! Za Pro! Keep away from that whatever you decide on your pick as a firewall,good luck

Last edited: Apr 29, 2005
  17. ego

ego Guest

Actually I have stayed with LnS because of the small memory footprint..
    While I had Kerio, I have seen the memory going up to 30+mb... Also there is something with the GUI.. I tried several times launching the configuration window but the CpU went up to 100% and I had to close it from the task manager,,, However, Kerio relaunched automatically (useful). I hope the same thing be implemented to LnS

18. Kush

Kush Registered Member

Hello again,

I was using Kerio also at the time after being hacked using Za Pro(crap!),and had the same problems you had with Kerio , I know that no firewall is perfect!, but in my 5 years of searching I found LnS it works best on my computer out of every other firewall out there on the net,I have tried them all twice over some 3 times like OP,and I found LnS to be the best![IMO],never been hacked again,and it going on close to 2 1/2 years with LnS on my system,and never had a problem with it,like the rest of them out there!,which caused BSOD,crashing,too many add-ons,like Za,and some others,LnS is great it is a good firewall,and not a cookie cleaner or a webfilter,an does not have built in Java protection and active -x disable switch,but I like LnS as it is,and all these other firewall's with all these extras,make them heavy on system resources and everything that they offer you can disable them in Internet options in a second, and most firewalls are not yours to keep ,but LnS is yours for life,even if you don't want to do a upgrade if one ever comes out,compared to other firewall which you have to pay a fee each year,and the support is usually very poor.

At least with LnS,it has Wilders website to help you out and there is usually always somebody willing to help you out,and there is LnS email tech support which is very helpful at the start of using LnS,and Phant0m was of great help to me and many other people on this site and others,and Phant0m has really helped LnS improve over the years.

The only thing so far I found there is a problem for people that are using Windows,98/ME and it was talked about it in this thread

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=73538

if you would like to read it,I am using Windows ME,and this is a problem people should be aware of, if your not using Windows 2000/XP you are not protected during boot-up which is a pain! :mad: To unplug my modem every time to prevent any chance of a hacker getting in,hope The Author of LnS Frederic would fix this problem ;) ,because at the moment I don't want to upgrade to XP,that is the only problem I have with LnS,
    and can be fixed very easy like Phant0m said in that thread,but have given up all hope on this every happening :rolleyes: no offence but it should be done.For people like me who just don't have the money or need the upgrade at the moment :oops:

Last edited: Apr 30, 2005
  19. Stephanos G.

Stephanos G. Registered Member

Hello Kush,
    i have installed LnS before two days. Is looks good firewall. Before i had ZA Pro but i dont like it. Just i worry with LnS because i dont have warnings like ZA.:) ZA got me crazy with the warnings. Also about the settings of Lns, do u know any website to explain which r the best settings for best security? Can u help us?

20. Happy Bytes

Happy Bytes Guest

>> How to make my computer invisible in Internet?

Answer: The easiest way (and the safest !) is to unplug network connection.

21. Happy Bytes

Happy Bytes Guest

very true...
    But do you need for every ping a alert? :eek:
    Dunno, but i would get pretty much annoyed with this.
    I just need a logfile from a firewall ( in plain ASC-II format ) that's it.

22. Stephanos G.

Stephanos G. Registered Member

So?:) what u propose?:)

23. Kush

Kush Registered Member

Hello Stephananos.G,

If you go to the start of this thread

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=76965

,there is a rule-set which is more secure than the default one within LnS,use the EnhancedRulesSet.rls(all the instructions on how to load this rule-set is also up there)which you will pass all port tests on the Internet(stealth)

If you are talking about the ping sound from LnS? You can turn it off,or adjust your rule-set for certain rules only! which is better than shutting it off completely so you know when there is a real alert happening.

If you look at each panel on LnS, App filtering,Internet filtering,log,etc,options there is a built in help file which will take hours to read and you'll get a better understanding of LnS,if you just coming off from ZA which can be a real bad trip!,you might find this firewall a bit confusing,since ZA is out of the box protection and you have nothing to learn ,and many people are not willing to take the time to read LnS help files,and there are also link's on LnS firewall that will give you more information on setting it up,but if you willing to learn I think you will be happy with LnS,good luck

24. nicoman

Can anybody tell me if "Phant0m``s Rule-set $v6 Final" is also for LAN?

25. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Where can I download this from?

Cheers :D

EDIT: Found it in the install folder.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.