How to make IE safe

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by Rasheed187, Jul 16, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

^^^^

I already figured it out, forget about it. I must say there hasn't been discovered a hole in IE in quite a while, it feels good. :)

2. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

*Cough* - not that long ago...and if you want to see what's coming in the future, check out the Upcoming Advisories List from eEye. There are 6 listed for Microsoft (one 253 days overdue at the time of posting) - care to guess how many are IE related?

3. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Unless your speaking of another link....the Upcoming Advisories List with 6 listed for Microsoft....that you referred to....are OS related.

So my...."guess how many are IE related"....would be none ?

4. Paranoid2000

Since no details are given about the advisories, it is possible that none end up being IE-related - however it is unlikely based on past advisories (out of 27 MS-related ones, I count 3 that are IE-specific plus one where IE is affected by a system vulnerability).

Given that the last advisory listed is for Real (who don't make OSes the last I heard), I'd be vaguely interested to know why you assume all the others are to do with the Windows OS rather than other Microsoft applications (which appear more often in the list of past advisories). Although if you believe Microsoft's past court filings, IE is an inalienable part of their OS...

5. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

As I mentioned in my above post....I was referring to the Upcoming Advisories List that you referred to with your comment of.... "There are 6 listed for Microsoft (one 253 days overdue at the time of posting) - care to guess how many are IE related?"

There also was no assuming....I simply clicked on each of those 6 listed for Microsoft in the Upcoming Advisories List and each referenced various MS OS's....except one....that I did mistakenly overlook....my bad :(

This one---> EEYEB-20031007

6. Paranoid2000

Well, just for Rasheed187 here's the latest IE advisory (dated 16th August, no patch yet available although XP SP2 does stop it).

Bubba,

I wasn't really thinking of that advisory since it was Low priority - but the way others are worded suggests that IE could play a role in them too. However we'll have to wait until a fix (or an in-the-wild exploit) appears to know for sure. Thanks for the update though.

7. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

I was being a bit sarcastic Paranoid, I think it's a miracle that the last few weeks were so quiet. About the links, none of them seem to affect my system (none were Win9X related) and the test on Secunia also didn't work. :)

8. Ronin

Ronin Guest

The bad hats are laying low now, testing for weaknesses in WIndows XP SP 2....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.