How to make ERUNT automatically delete old backups?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by sweater, Feb 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sweater

sweater Registered Member

Philippines, the Political Dynasty Capital of the
    I am using ERUNT, and it is a reliable registry backup in my pc. However, I installed it w its default installation settings. It creates a daily registry backups and I found out that it can really fill up my drive if I forgot to manually deletes its older backup copies. :oops: :rolleyes:

Its automatic daily backup feature is great but I want it also to automatically deletes its older backups folders of which I think I don't need anymore. :doubt:

Is there any way to make a setting so that it will only retains the last seven days of its backups and to automatically deletes older backups? o_O :rolleyes:

2. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Re: How to make ERUNT automatically deletes old backups?

Hi,
    As far as I know, Erunt automatically deletes backups older than 30 days.
    Mrk

3. crofttk

crofttk Registered Member

When I used to use ERUNT regularly, I had a batch file called daily by Windows' task scheduler that rotated among seven folders that it had ERUNT write to. Each day it was simply overwriting whichever backup folder was then seven days old.

There are a number of ways you can accomplish this using the command line "shift" and/or "rename" and/or "copy" commands in the batch file.

If you found it useful, and unless someone beats me to it, I could dig through my archives and post or even create from scratch an example.

4. GUI_Tex

GUI_Tex Registered Member

go right ahead.. :D

5. crofttk

Aiiight...here's a quick and dirty set up:

Here I've created 7 backup folders under the c:\windows\ERDNT backup folder that ERUNT creates at install or on first execution (can't recall which) -- obviously you'd want this set up ahead of time but the install routine allows you to do an initial registry backup at the end of the install anyways:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v351/crofttk/ss1.jpg

Then, in that same ERDNT directory, I've created my batch files along with 7 text files that each contain a command line call to ERUNT that targets each of the 7 different folders. Here's what the ERUNT command line looks like for "bkup1.txt", for instance:
    Code:
    "c:\program files\ERUNT\ERUNT" "c:\windows\ERDNT\Backup Folder 1" sysreg curuser otherusers /noprogresswindow /noconfirmdelete
    Then I've simply repeated the same command line in each bkup?.txt file but substituted the appropriate path for each successive target folder.

The file "CURRbkup.bat" is an executable "placeholder" for the different appropriate bkup?.txt file for each time the main batch file, "regbkup.bat", is called by the Windows task scheduler. Here is the contents of "regbkup.bat":
    Code:
    REM
    REM Set the new "aim" for the target folder:
    REM
    copy /y targ1.txt CURRbkup.BAT

REM
    REM And execute on the current target folder:
    REM
    call CURRbkup.bat

REM
    REM Then rotate the "cylinder" by one slot
    REM to set up for the next execution:
    REM 
    copy /y targ2.txt targ1.txt
    copy /y targ3.txt targ2.txt
    copy /y targ4.txt targ3.txt
    copy /y targ5.txt targ4.txt
    copy /y targ6.txt targ5.txt
    copy /y targ7.txt targ6.txt
    copy /y CURRbkup.bat targ7.txt
    After I created "regbkup.bat", I went into the "Add Scheduled Task" wizard in the "Scheduled Tasks" folder and pointed to "regbkup.bat":

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v351/crofttk/ss2.jpg

Then, I set the schedule time & frequency to 6:00 AM every morning, for instance:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v351/crofttk/ss3.jpg

I tested this example out (with a two minute repeat frequency) and everything went as planned.

Hope this is helpful even though it's kinda primitive.

P.S.

- I'm sure someone or I, putting in more time on it, could do something more elegant and efficient, but this works.
    - Also, dragging a shortcut to "regbkup.bat" to your desktop provides a convenient way to do a quick backup of the registry before you edit it or do something else with inherent risk.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2006
  6. sweater

sweater Registered Member

Philippines, the Political Dynasty Capital of the

Yaikss!!! It could already over-fills my hard-drive memory...o_O

The instructions above looks a bit complicated...:doubt:

Are there any ways to just creates an automatic delete things on the ERUNT software alone without ever touching the other things around? :cautious: o_O

7. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    C'mon, each backup takes about 20-30Mbs, so it's hardly 1Gb before deletion! That's less than 0.2% of my HDD space.
    Mrk

Last edited: Feb 26, 2006
  8. blarson

blarson Registered Member

From ERUNT 1.1j documentation:

"The command line tool AUTOBACK.EXE uses the same syntax as ERUNT but
    performs the additional task of deleting old restore folders after the
    new backup has been created."

In my Startup folder I execute:

"C:\Program Files\ERUNT\AUTOBACK.EXE" %SystemRoot%\ERDNT\AutoBackup\#Date# /noconfirmdelete /days:7

ERUNT has saved me so many times I donate after every disaster recovery or update; whichever comes first.

Brian

9. DonMartin

DonMartin Registered Member

@crofttk
    I tried your solution, whitch I found really nice. A back-up from the last week would be great.
    But I can't get the scheduler to run the bat-file.o_O
    If i double-click on the bat-file everything works as it should, but when I put the regbkup.bat in the scheduler and input a time for the run the only thing that happens is that I get a new time for the next run in the scheduler.
    It seems that the scheduler thinks that it has ran the program, but obviously it hasn't.
    Nothing in the next back-up folder, no rotation in the textfiles. o_O :mad:

Any idéa what could be the problem?

After some more trying I have found out that the appl. don't run because I didn't input any password for the user.
    But I have not any pass word for any user that log-on to my computer. o_O

Regards /Don

Last edited: Feb 26, 2006
  10. DonMartin

DonMartin Registered Member

Working fine now. Added a password for my account.
    /Don

11. crofttk

Glad it worked out for you. Although, in general (but people will debate it), it's a better security practice to have a password for your account, I didn't realize it would require one.

12. crofttk

It's good you point that out, Brian. I don't believe this was available a few years back when I last used ERUNT and I did see this after I went to Lars Hederer's homepage (http://www.larshederer.homepage.t-online.de/erunt/) to download the latest version for the above exercise.

I didn't completely read the readme's section on AUTOBACK, so I'm not sure if you can change the frequency to whatever you want.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.