How to make dual-bootable system

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by mickscool, Aug 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mickscool

mickscool Registered Member

Hi Friends,
    I backed up a "Win 2003 Enterprise Server Edition" system and restored it on a new partition(E:) on a "Win 2000 Advanced Server" system.I can see all the data but can't I make the host system dual-bootable (i.e havin both option "Win 2000 Advanced Server" and "Win 2003 Enterprise Server Edition") showing up when the system boots upo_O

Actually,I was thinkin the back-up was done sector-by-sector and I would be able to boot through the guest O.S once I restore it on some host system.Please correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks

2. mickscool

Somebody help me please!!!
    OK..I edited the boot.ini file and added a new entry for the O.S on E: drive and it shows dual option during boot-up but then when then it throws a "

"Cannot read data from the partition........it's not compatible with the computer hardware comfiguration....etc etc"

Any ideas anybodyo_O

3. Mac25

Mac25 Registered Member

since the system was not configured and loaded as a dual boot you may have to have a boot loader installed to fix it OR you may have to do a repair install on the latter OS.

another thing you could is go to the microsoft site and research on how to repair the boot files, as i dont have any direct exp with the windows server software.

4. mickscool

OK thanks..but the host system is working fine.Only when I select the second O.S i.e the image that i restored on E: drive it gives that exception.Can it be because the computer hardware is not compatible or somethino_O?

Last edited: Aug 22, 2006
  5. Mac25

Mac25 Registered Member

when a sys setup to dual boot you load the earlier OS first, then the latter OS, as so the latter system loads a boot loader to allow a choice of which OS you want to boot, the boot loader has to be correct or one OS will fail to boot, if you have a bootable disk you may be able to repair the boot string BUT like i said i have no server exp, what comes up on google.

6. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello mickscool,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please accept our apologies for the delay with the response.

The most probable reason for the problem you experience is that the hardware configuration of the Windows 2000 based machine is different from that of the Windows 2003 based computer. If that's the case then the restored operating system might not boot even if the multiboot is properly configured by means of Windows's own multiboot capability or some third-party boot loader.

If you want to transfer your operating system to the computer having different hardware configuration, we recommend that you prepare Windows for transferring with Microsoft System Preparation tool (sysprep). However, even in case of using Microsoft System Preparation tool we cannot guarantee the success, because sysprep allows replacing drivers only for Plug-and-Play devices (sound cards, network adapters, video cards etc.). As for system HAL and boot device driver, they must be identical in the source and target computers (see Microsoft Knowledge Base articles 302577 and 216915).

If you want to be completely sure that the restored operating system will boot and function normally, we recommend that you use Acronis True Image 9.1 Server for Windows or Acronis True Image 9.1 Enterprise Server in conjunction with Acronis Universal Restore for your purposes. Acronis Universal Restore technology provides an efficient solution for hardware-independent system restoration by replacing the crucial HAL and hard disk controller drivers.

The major difference between Acronis True Image 9.1 Server for Windows and Acronis True Image 9.1 Enterprise Server is that the latter provides you with the ability to back up and recover computers remotely. Please take a look at the version comparison page for more details.

You can find more information on how to deploy the image of your Windows system to different hardware in the respective Acronis True Image 9.1 Server for Windows FAQ Article.

Please read more information on how to use the above mentioned products in their respective User's Guides.

We also recommend that you download and install the free trial version(s) of the product(s) you are interested in to see how the software works on your particular software\hardware configuration.

If you want to obtain the free trial version of Acronis Universal Restore then please submit a request for technical support using Ask a question before you purchase Acronis software link. Explain your wish to obtain the free trial version of Acronis Universal Restore and provide the link to this thread in your request.

Please visit Acronis online store to purchase the full version of the product. Note that we have a flexible system of discounts and the amount of the discount varies depending on the number of copies you want to purchase. In case you are planning to purchase many copies, please contact our Sales Team at sales@acronis.com.

If you have any further questions concerning Acronis software, please feel free to submit a request for technical support or post any of them on this forum. We will certainly try to help you in resolving any issues.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.