How to know if my pc is using these ports?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by sweater, Feb 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sweater

sweater Registered Member

Philippines, the Political Dynasty Capital of the
    I am confused and couldn't figure it out how to really know if my pc is using this port or not. Experts says that disabling ports that we didn't use can improve xp performances.

These are COM, LPT and USB ports.

How can I know if I am using these ports, or my pc needs them? So that I can safely disables those that are not in use...:rolleyes: :doubt:

Attached Files:

2. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

Just check if theres anything physically plugged into those ports. have you got anything plugged in your usb ports? A printer plugged in your printer port? Things like that.

3. lodore

lodore Registered Member

right click the ones that say root hub and go to the power tab and it should tell you what device it is e.g. bt voyager router
    lodore

4. Rico

Rico Registered Member

Hi Sweater,

I saw that also in 'PC magazine' I'll bet you won't notice a heck of alot of speed improvement by choosin 'disable' + should you want to plug something in later, you'll have to remember, what/which one to 'enable'. Seems kinda puny & not really touted alot by other speed freaks. I think I'll pass on this one.

Take Care
    Rico

5. vhick

vhick Registered Member

i easily know the com port. i only used 56k dialup and a serial external modem and i can see network connection used com1 so i can disable com2 because i only have 2 serial port (which is game port) and i also disable lpt because i dont use device through parallel ports.

i dont disable usb port. beside is saves power is yu check "allow saving power" in power management tab in properties.

6. sweater

sweater Registered Member

Philippines, the Political Dynasty Capital of the
    Tnx Ric, I'll better leave them alone. ;) :cool:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.