How to know If a have AGP or PCI slots on my comp?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by luke11, Aug 4, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. luke11

luke11 Guest

Pls i am new to comp's and i am looking at installing a
    new graphics card on my PC.

Any answers would be helpful

Thanks for all your replys

Luke

2. Notok

Notok Registered Member

Easiest way is to just look inside. The AGP slot would the topmost slot, slightly smaller and shifted to the right a little, usually a different color. If all the slots are the same size then they're probably all PCI. If you have some extra long ones on the bottom, those would be ISA, but you probably won't have those unless you have an old computer.

What kind of computer do you have? If it's an OEM (Dell, Compaq, HP, etc) what's the model number? If it was custom built, can you find out what brand & model the motherboard is? (you should probably have a manual for it, otherwise when you reboot it should show the model number first thing just above the memory count)

3. MikeBCda

MikeBCda Registered Member

Hi Luke, and welcome,

This kind of info is probably already buried away in System Info, if you know where to look for it.

But I like to use Everest for things like this, it's very handy. (Hopefully the mods won't treat this as spamming.) The home version is free, and very good at ID-ing hardware and system components and setup.

As an example, my monitor -- everything else ID's it as simply Plug-and-play, but Everest correctly pins it down to make, model, and even (approx.) date of manufacture.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.