How to interpret identified virus / trojan?

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by steve_mm, Aug 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. steve_mm

steve_mm Registered Member

Can someone tell me how to interpret how ESET names a virus or trojan when found? Yesterday ESET found a trojan that it identifies as "JS/Fraud.NAB trojan"

I'm guessing that's not the actual name of the trojan; it just looks like a generic identification of the type of trojan. (?)

I tried looking this up in the ESET databases on their site, but didn't find anything. I'd like to know more about this particular trojan. It seems that yesterday, while editing our web site, the trojan found my open connection through my FTP client and altered a ton of files on the site, all in less than a minute.

Any help appreciated...

Steve

2. SmackyTheFrog

SmackyTheFrog Registered Member

JS means it was javascript, so likely something trying to do bad things through your browser. The Fraud part means it was something trying to trick you, normally through social engineering in to divulging information or installing additional viruses. Considering the javascript, it is most likely a pop-up that pretends to be fake antivirus software that tries to look like a system window or something.

3. steve_mm

steve_mm Registered Member

OK, that helps to clarify things. I was seeing a script running in my browser window, and then afterward got a fake antivirus site. But at the same time my web site files were being altered, so I'm surmising that the trojan was the culprit.

Something I've never seen before, so I'm scratching my head...

Thanks,

Steve

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.