How to integrate in WinRAR

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security v3 Beta Forum' started by gH0StrId3R, Oct 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gH0StrId3R

gH0StrId3R Registered Member

Hi...i have tried many commands but i always get one error

"Scanner Initialization failed"

at command prompt whenever WinRar runs the following command

Virus Scanner Name
    Virus Scanner Properties
    plz tell me how to integrate it in WinRAR

2. ASpace

ASpace Guest

In the VS properties , try to use these only:

Code:
    --aind --files --arch --max-archive-level=10 --sfx --rtp --symlink --adware --unsafe --unwanted --pattern --heur --adv-heur --action=clean --quarantine
    without "%f"

3. gH0StrId3R

the "%f" is the WinRAR parameter for filename....still....i tried it...

same problem :(

4. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

For the scanner to work, you must have the working directory set properly and feed ecls.exe with the full path to the file you want to scan. I'm not sure if WinRAR actually supports this.

5. gH0StrId3R

hmmm...thanks for that info...now i know what to try...n yea i think the same too :D

6. gH0StrId3R

actually... "%f" is the parameter for the folder in which winRAR has extracted the files temporarily for scanning

7. gH0StrId3R

here are the real details

when i run this command from the run dialog box (Winkey + R):

Scan absolutely perfect

when i set even the following in winRAR

Virus Scanner
    C:\Program Files\Eset\ESET NOD32 Antivirus\ecls.exe
    (with or without quotes)

Scanner Parameters
    "C:\Program Files"

(notice that i have removed %f because i thought about the incomplete path thing)
    The scanner initialization fails

now i think winRAR is sending a wrong command to ecls.exe
    because if winRAR sent the command properly, it would have been like this:

"c:\Program Files\Eset\ESET NOD32 Antivirus\ecls.exe" "C:\Program Files"

and would scan properly

is there some way to determine the command winRAR is sending?

thanks

8. webyourbusiness

webyourbusiness Registered Member

this is getting into a winrar support issue - as you know NOD32 is working... do they have a support forum for winrar itself?

it might be more appropriate, as the question now appears to be how to debug the command being invoked by winrar - this is hopefully logged within the winrar logs themselves - at least I would hope it would/could be...

9. gH0StrId3R

yeah...thanks i'll try to find some winrar forum :D

NOD32 is the best !!!

10. faceless user

faceless user Registered Member

I'm not sure this is a winrar support issue. nod 2.7 runs fine in winrar. nod 3.0 does not. I can get the command line command to run fine in the the run dialog, but I cannot get it to run from the command prompt. It seems that things are getting parsed different than they were in 2.7. I can literally copy and paste what worked in the run dialog into the command prompt window and it will not work. I am using Vista 32. I repeat nod 2.7 works fine. Maybe there is something I am missing, but I am sure that winrars problems are related to the commands also not working in the command prompt. Let me be clear, the command prompt is window's not winrar's though the issue is the same.

11. gH0StrId3R

hmmm...can you reproduce the thing in command prompt? coz i cant

12. faceless user

Here is what I discovered. If I call ecls.exe directly from the eset folder
    ecls.exe "\PROGRAM FILES"

It runs fine, but if I run it from a separate folder in the command prompt:
    "c:\program files\eset\eset nod32 antivirus\ecls.exe" "\PROGRAM FILES"
    it does not initialize properly

I can reproduce this all day long.

13. ASpace

ASpace Guest

ECLS is different from NOD32 v2 (nod32.exe and its command parameters).

For gH0StrId3R:
    In these commands (for e.g.)
    "%f" --aind --files --arch --max-archive-level=10 --sfx --rtp --symlink --adware --unsafe --unwanted --pattern --heur --adv-heur --action=clean --quarantine

we don't have what to be scanned entered in a correct way so that ECLS can recognise it .

When sb runs ecls with the commands they should end with what to be scanned , e.g.
    --aind --files --arch --max-archive-level=10 --sfx --rtp --symlink --adware --unsafe --unwanted --pattern --heur --adv-heur --action=clean --quarantine %windir%/system32/

or

--aind --files --arch --max-archive-level=10 --sfx --rtp --symlink --adware --unsafe --unwanted --pattern --heur --adv-heur --action=clean --quarantine C:\

The first one will make ecls scan Windows's system32 directory with settings mentioned with the parameters entered with --

The second one will make ecls scan the whole C:\ drive with all subfolders inside.

What is different :

With v2 WinRAR tells NOD32 on-demand scanner the paramerts and the location of what to scan ("%f")

With v3 this doesn't work , with EA or ESS what to scan should be set afterwords and in different way .

Not sure if and how possible technically this can be but this is what is seen from a simple view. Perhaps someone from ESET can explain it better :)

14. faceless user

I understand what your saying I think, but if that is so, then why when I run ecls from the eset folder pointing it to a folder, it scans with a set of default parameters, but when you call it from a distant folder, it gives an error? This is specifying no parameters.

15. faceless user

Clarification: ecls.exe only works properly when called from inside the eset folder. While inside the eset folder I can call directly or indirectly ecls.exe and it will work (directly: ecls.exe) (indirectly: "c:\location\ecls.exe").

While outside the eset folder I must call it indirectly and it never works.

This should be addressed before this program is released. I find this to be essential for me using this software. I honestly believe this is why winrar is failing because it is calling ecls indirectly and from the winrar folder. For some reason the run dialog allows calling ecls.exe indirectly fine.

16. gH0StrId3R

the problem, as i see it, is directly related to the setting of "Start In" or "Working Directory"

you can check this by creating a shortcut at your desktop...

point it to ecls.exe

You can use this as the Target:

The "Start In" (in the properties of the shortcut) will automatically become

Run the shortcut and it'll start scanning the Program Files Folder

now change the start in to anything else...

The Scanner Initialization failed message will be displayed

Eset... Please correct this bug, it will not function with softwares like Windows Live Messenger, Winrar, IDM (download Manager(s)), etc

Edit: Actually Marcos pointed it out way before i thought anything about it..

But the problem is, Marcos, WinRAR does work with everything else, same is the case with IDM and Live Messenger and other softwares which use virus scanners installed in the system

Last edited: Oct 7, 2007
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.