how to install spector pro keylogger?

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by mhorton, Jun 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mhorton

mhorton Registered Member

how to install spector pro keylogger? - edited -

Ok, so I've read this: https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=246664&highlight=spector
    which states that if "potientially unsafe" program detection is checked, it will detect a keylogger. This implies that unchecking it will allow it but this isn't the case. I'm getting very angry here trying to get this to work. Even after totally disabling both real-time file system protection and AV & antispyware protection, it still detects it. Furthermore, it quarantines set to delete on reboot the file rather than asking me what to do, and refuses to restore the file, which doesn't matter anyway since quarantining it breaks break the program requiring a new install. Part of the steath of the program is that it names its dll files randomly, so I can't add exclusions in advance.
    I've disabled unsafe program, and now unwanted programs, but it still detects it.

Why does disabling protection not actually disable it?? ?? How can I get around this? Spector Pro is a legitimate commercial application, I should be able to make it work. NOD32 should NOT delete files without asking permission.

Please provide detailed instructions on how to do this.

On a side note, why is "restore and exclude" always disabled? That just makes this even more frustrating. Just remove it from the menu if it is going to be disabled.

Thanks

--Edit--

So I fought this for at least a couple hours before posting this then resolved it just minutes after posting... I'm not sure what I changed, but this time during the install it popped up a 'threat detected' message so I was able to go in right then and set an exclusion, then click 'take no action'. The application installed and seems to be running fine now.

I still have 'unwanted' and 'unsafe' program detection unchecked, how badly is this compromising the system?

My other questions, though somewhat unrelated at this point, are still valid. Why does it continue to detect and delete threats even when AV is turned off? Why does it delete the file (via quarantine until reboot) without asking? Why is "restore and exclude" disabled?

Thanks.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2010
  2. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Re: how to install spector pro keylogger? - edited -

I assume it's the startup scanner that keeps detecting the file(s). Add an exception for the necessary files/folder by adding them to the exclusion list.

3. pendarus

pendarus Registered Member

That's the issue, Spector Pro uses random file names to keep technically advanced users from detecting and removing it.

NOD32's exclusions are unable to handle this. How do you exclude a file who's name is unknown?

Spector Pro is used legitimately by many companies to monitor users activities. It should have a built in exclusion in NOD32.

4. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

In this case, the only solution is to disable detection of potentially unsafe applications that cover commercial keyloggers, software for remote administration or legit tools that can be misused for malicious purposes when used by unauthorized persons (e.g. tools for killing processes).

5. indytechpro

indytechpro Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.