How to install icecat browser?

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by lucygrl, Jul 28, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lucygrl

lucygrl Registered Member

Does anyone know how to install icecat browser on ubuntu? Ive tried all the ways people have suggested on various websites and none seem to work. I understand Trisquel 7 will have it installed, but would like to try it in the meantime on Ubuntu if anyone knows a way that works?

thankyou.

2. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79 Registered Member

Hi lucygrl,

Officially, the icecat browser is a part of Gnuzilla a derivative of the Mozilla Application Suite created by the GNU Project as an attempt to be entirely free software. You can download either the source or binary from one of the mirrors starting from GNUzilla and IceCat. Each source/binary file has a (.sig) file associated with it to verify the download using the usual PCP commands from a command line terminal.

The binary for icecat is encapsulated in the download file named icecat-17.0.1-32bit.tar.gz (icecat-17.0.1-32bit.tar.gz.sig). There is a script named run-icecat.sh that looks like it will install it, once you have run the gunzip and tar -xf (tar extract) command which isolates the extracted files in a subdirectory named icecat-17.0.1. You will find the run-icecat.sh script in that subdirectory. It is likely that you may need to run the install script from a root account to install icecat in Ubuntu.

The source for icecat is encapsulated in the download file named icecat-17.0.1.tar.gz (icecat-17.0.1.tar.gz.sig). For information on how to build Mozilla from the source code, see: http://developer.mozilla.org/en/docs/Build_Documentation, and also when I gunzipped and extracted the source tar file, in the subdirectory named icecat-17.0.1 it did contains two README files one of which instructs on building the source and how to install the build, but overall it looks like a typical Makefile type installation after you follow the directions to configure and then make from the source files.

-- Tom

3. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

4. keithpeter

keithpeter Registered Member

Which version of Ubuntu (12.04, 14.04 or something else)?

What architecture (32 bit i686 or 64 bit X86_64)?

Trisquel 7 is based on Ubuntu 14.04. If by chance you are using the 64bit arch, then a binary of Icecat 24 can be downloaded from the link in this mailing list post

https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/info-gnu/2013-10/msg00010.html

I just untar that into ~/opt and run it local. I recollect that there were some libraries that caused a bit of trouble like libjpeg52

The maintainer does not package binaries for 32 bit. I compiled Icecat 17 on i686 gNewSense 3 (basically a free Debian squeeze) and as another poster said it is a configure/make/make install type process. Scroll down to bottom part of this page for the steps (gNewSense wiki is down at present)

http://www.sohcahtoa.org.uk/pages/gNewSense.html

You won't need to worry about the YASM version on a recent Ubuntu.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2014
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.