How to Install Comodo Firewall

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Chiron, May 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chiron

Chiron Registered Member

As far as I am aware there has been no change. The problem still exists.

2. cruelsister

cruelsister Registered Member

Just one suggestion to the settings link that Chiron kindly posted- Notice in Section D of the guide (Configure Defense+ And Sandbox) there is a statement to: "Now copy in "\Device\KsecDD" (this is in the second paragraph).

The reason for this thing to be included is to protect against a specific type of ransomware, gpcode. A much more effective entry which will save your computer from gpcode as well as any past and future variants would be to use: ?:\* instead of KsecDD.

Note that the ?:\* would be its own group.

3. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

hi
    Ive followed chirons great guide to configuring comodo and many thanks to him for this.
    as for adding a ?* .i will do this also.i dont know what this does exactly but i shall do this.
    Are there any more things i can do to make comodo even more stronger?
    Kind regards.

4. Blues7

Blues7 Registered Member

So we would need to follow the exact same steps per the instructions (from Chiron's primer) to add your entry...and then upon doing so remove the KsecDD entry? Or are there any other steps required?

Thanks for clarification.

5. Chiron

Chiron Registered Member

Thanks for pointing this out. My article did already suggest that users use C:\*, but using ?:\* will also protect all files on a computer, even if it has multiple drives. Thus I've changed my advice to ?:\*.

Thanks.

Please follow the new instructions in my article. If you plan on using ?:\* then you can skip the advice in the second paragraph of section D and instead follow that in paragraph 3.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks.

6. Chiron

Chiron Registered Member

I just updated the article to ensure that all users are better protected against ransomware. Please check out section D and let me know what you think of the changes.

Thanks.

7. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

which changes are those please.?
    ive followed chirons excellent tutorial on configuring comodo to the letter.
    Are there any other changes i should be aware of .?
    Regards.:argh:

8. hogndog

hogndog Registered Member

Maybe you can help me, its about the installing the Comodo firewall link that you've supplied. The information in that link has changed from what it was a year ago, I'm looking for the previous tutorial that explained how to block a specific type of Malware attack. I've been to Gizmo's freeware and the Comodo forum and all those links have been updated, i don't suppose you might have that information? o_O

Tia..
    Hogndog

Oops'! seems like I'm not the only one.. :argh:

9. kjdemuth

kjdemuth Registered Member

What problems were you having with the two?

10. Chiron

Chiron Registered Member

I am consantly updating that article so that it always reflects the most recent version. I would always suggest that you keep your security products up to date. I also update it whenever it becomes apparent that an approach I had recommended can be improved.

The advice given in the newest version will actually be able to help you configure Comodo to block even more attacks than the version from a year ago. Specifically, the newest version will protect you from all types of ransomware, whereas that I had previously would only protect you from certain types.

Can you please let me know what information you are looking for?

Thanks.

11. pintas

pintas Registered Member

Chiron, thank you for your setup, it looks promising :)

Just a note... the option "Protect All Files" you mentioned on section D, is no longer available in CIS.
    (or maybe i'm just doing it wrong...)
    I'm not sure if you mentioned, but adding a password to the setup would be a plus.

Oh, also, after the changes in the firewall, shouldn't the custom policy be selected?

12. Chiron

Chiron Registered Member

You name it that yourself. It doesn't exist until you create it.

All that this would do is make sure that nobody else with physical access to the computer can change the settings. No program can access it anyway.

No, but you can choose that if you wish. What that mode means is that the firewall essentially will not learn. More information is on this page. By leaving it in Safe Mode I am allowing the firewall to learn, but just making a few tweaks to it.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

13. pintas

pintas Registered Member

Really nice.
    Thank you so much Chiron. Really helpful. :thumb:

14. cruelsister

Actually Safe Mode has nothing to go with the Firewall "learning" (that's what Training Mode does), but instead allows by default any application or process whitelisted by Comodo to access the internet without any user input.

Custom Policy differs only in that there is no whitelist (ie All applications and processes would be considered unknown), so the user must decide whether or not to allow any application access to the internet upon the first run of that application.

15. pintas

pintas Registered Member

Ok, so basically it is an improvement in security for the user.

16. hogndog

I'm sorry i can't be of more help, what i can tell you is that it was from the previous tutorial to this one and it dealt with blocking a specific type of Malware attack, but then your right the latest updates are the best..

Thanks for all of your help.. hadn't realized just how much help you provide for these different forums..:thumb:

17. cruelsister

You're probably referring to the GpCode Trojan- the type of ransomware that encrypts your files. If that is correct and you want to add the protection:

1). Open up CIS and click the Defense+ tab
    2). Click Computer Security Policy
    3). Click the Protected Files and Folders tab
    4). Click on Add- Browse
    5). In the box that pops up type ?:\*
    6). Click OK and you are done.

You may see that there are other methods to achieve the same protection against GpCode, however those methods are specific for this particular variant, whereas the steps above will protect against any and all encrypters.

Hope that helped.

18. hogndog

Thanks for your reply, this memory of mine is short by a couple of Gigabytes. If this covers any and all of these attacks i can't go wrong, maybe I'll stumble across that old tutorial just to compare notes.. ;)

Thanks again..
    Hogndog

19. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

Very effective setting but I think it might interferes with Windows backup (the backup might fail with a non descriptive error). Not sure what other progs might be affected. Use with caution

20. hogndog

Couldn't have missed that last tutorial by much seems it was still in print just a few months ago. Gizmos may have an old copy lying around hadn't thought of asking them.. o_O

Thanks for your reply.. :)

21. hogndog

Guess its one of those projects that can't be put together overnight.. patience patience patience.. :D

22. Chiron

Chiron Registered Member

I can guarantee you that my newest advice will protect against everything which was protected against in the older version and more. Thus, there is no need to find the older version. This advice will protect you against all types of ransomware. With the older version I used to be playing catchup after it turned out my advice no longer worked.

No worries.;)

23. hogndog

O.k. Chiron thanks for your help i know you know what your doing.. ;)

24. hogndog

One more question will that configuration hold true if i run the firewall alone using no antivirus? Just Sandboxie and Windows Defender

Tia..
    Hogndog

25. hogndog

I went to the Comodo forum to download the firewall, well i downloaded 3 and all of them failed the MD5 Hasher check using this extension..

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/md5-reborned-hasher/?src=ss

I ran it three times just to double triple check, its not the extension because i downloaded some other applications just to be sure, well guys what should i do?? :argh:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.