How to improve current computer defense???

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by bounty69sx, Jun 6, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bounty69sx

bounty69sx Registered Member

Can I please get some advice on how to shore up my computer's defense against those net pests. I just have a basic knowledge of computers but I check and double check any advice i get b4 i initiate any drastic measures. my computer's fairly new and I have a hijacker on board right now. I am in the process of fixing it with help from Newkid. But after we're done I plan to clean house and do some renovation. Right now this is what I have:

> Norton 2004 Net Security but I plan to drop the firewall part and stick with the antivirus after trial period. Any commentso_O

>ZA Pro, not the trial version. This is what I will use as my primary firewall. Again any commentso_O

>Ad-aware 6 updated
    >Spybot S/D
    >Hijackthis
    >SpywareGuard/Blaster, plan to get it after I clean the unit.

I have the Win XP Home Ed. With DSL connection w/o a router/hardware firewall 'cuz this is the only computer at home right now. Just got the comp last Feb. 2004. What else can I add that won't pose any incompatibility issues with what I got?

Thanks a lot

2. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

you can pick up a router with a hardware firewall for around $30.00 that would be a good thing to do with a broadband connection.

3. Dazed_and_Confused

Dazed_and_Confused Registered Member

Norton isn't bad, but I think you'll find NOD32 is just as good an AV, if not better, and uses fewer resources. However, I understand Norton has superior AT capabilities.

Good choices.

If your using IE as your browser, you might consider something less open to attack, such as Firefox. And as BigC stated, PLEASE get a router. :)

4. Pigman

Pigman Registered Member

Go to www.analogx.com and download Script Defender. Install it, run it, install the protection, and quit. Now your computer will tell you if any of the types of scripts specified are run. If you need to, you can add more scripts other than the default ones.

(Note: This is not an anti-virus, anti-trojan, or similar software. It will not alert you when possible malware is run; it will alert you when any script of the types specified is run.)

Download DSOStop and HTAStop from the Wilders download page. (Wait a minute... Does anyone here know if Script Defender can block the same sort of thing as HTAStop?)

Download System Safety Monitor here.

If an expert posts here and says that I am wrong, then listen to them, because they know what they are talking about. :)

5. Dazed_and_Confused

Hello, Pig. :D

I don't remember seeing that title next to anyone's name here, but I know what you mean. ;) Ditto for me!

6. bounty69sx

Thanks for the reply...the main reason I use what's in the mainstream is my lack of comp knowledge other than basics. But I am open to learning new stuff. That firefox browser, would that run side by side with IE. I will definitely get a router this time around. Any suggestiono_O I read a review on the latest PC World mag(6/2004) about Linksys and a Microsoft router. R they OKo_O

And to show my wanting of knowledge, what's that AT of Nortono_Omaybe it's at the tip of my tongue but I can't quite get to it. Is it anti-Trojan?

Thanks again.

7. kaytee_S

kaytee_S Registered Member

i'm probably wrong,because all the people above know more about computers then i,but are you running 2 software firewalls? that would be like trying to ware to pairs of shoes at the same time,1 is better.shouldn't you disconnect 1 right now.DONT DO IT UNLESS SOMEELSE TELLS TOU TO.

8. Dazed_and_Confused

It should.

Some AV's are also good at detecting Trojans and Worms. From what I've heard, KAV is the best all-around, but uses lots of resources.

A layered defense is the best, but can be expensive. :rolleyes: However, it's recommended if you don't practice safe computing. As you can see from my signature, I have an AV (NOD), AT(TDS), AW (Wormguard), and a couple of anti-spyware apps. Let's just say I feel protected. ;)

9. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I use a linksys and it does everything I expect a router to do.
    I read that MS has quit their router program.

10. lonewolf3367

lonewolf3367 Guest

Here's some good additional programs available that you may find useful.

1. WinPatrol - free. Blocks trojans, spyware, adware, and other nasties. Has other uses as well. http://www.winpatrol.com

2. System Security Suite - (as mentioned by Pigman) Is a free application firewall. It keeps any program from starting without your permission. So any nasties (trojans, spyware, ect..) can't access the internet behind your back. Link given above by Pigman.

3. A Squared - A free anti-trojan. Finds common trojans, spyware, and other malware. http://www.emsisoft.com/en/software/free

4. X-Cleaner - Another spyware scanner, but has other uses as well. A free version is available too. http://www.xblock.com/download-freeware.shtml

5. Belarc Advisor - A free program that will tell you some interesting and useful things about your computer hardware and software. http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html

Hope these free programs help you out.

11. lonewolf3367

lonewolf3367 Guest

Sorry item # 2 on my list should have said System Safety Monitor - A free application firewall.

System Security Suite is another free program that is useful for removing your internet tracks while using IE. It erases your IE history, cookies, cache and more. You can get it here: http://www.igorshpak.net

12. Justhelping

Justhelping Guest

Try hardening your OS first before loading up all the extra software. Patches, closing unnecessary services etc, the usual stuff. GRC has some stuff, then there are other stuff like Safexp, xp-antispy, xplizer, wwdc etc which help you close unnecessary services.

DO read abou the various type of malware, how they commonly spread, and the typical ways security software try to stop them THEN decide which areas you are weak in currently and which software can help.

DON'T get caught up with buying/trying/testing all the software and lose sight of the fact that without understanding (even the most general kind), all the software in the world won't protect you.

I know this is less exciting then telling you use product x, y, z and you are done, but in the long run you are better off.

Of course if you have a lot of money and time on your hands, you can be a "tester" like many people here who are addicted with buying/testing/using security software. Still without understanding there is a limit to how much software can protect you. Also after a certain point you will reach a diminishing point where more software probably won't make you that much secure. (Eg a reasonable amount might secure you against typical in the wild viruses,worms and the typical script kiddy, but even the most extreme amounts of software will be unlikely to protect you against a skilled hacker or a very obscure backdoor)

13. bounty69sx

Attn: BigC and/or D&C

here is a spec list of a router i found on cnet. Is this enough for an average home computer usage. Somethinbg to start with.

Thanks.

D-Link DI-624 AirPlus Xtreme G router

Release date: October 13, 2003
    Home Review Video Specs User opinions Essentials Compare Where to buy Full specs
    Networking
    Connectivity Technology Wireless

Data link protocol Ethernet, IEEE 802.11b, IEEE 802.11g, Fast Ethernet

Data transfer rate 108 Mbps

Line Coding Format CCK, BPSK, OFDM, QPSK

Features VPN, Switching, NAT support, DHCP support, Firewall protection

Standards IEEE 802.3, IEEE 802.1x, IEEE 802.3U, IEEE 802.11b, IEEE 802.11g

Switching Protocol Ethernet

Transport protocol L2TP, PPTP, IPSec

Max Range Indoors / Outdoors: 330 ft : 1310 ft

Status Indicators Power, Link activity

Bandwidth 2.4 GHz
    General
    Form Factor External

Depth 7.5 in

Width 4.6 in

Height 1.4 in

Weight 0.7 lbs
    Communications
    Type None
    Expansion / Connectivity
    Expansion Slot(s) Total (Free) None

Expansion Bay(s) Total (Free) None

Port(s) Total (Free) / Connector Type 1 Network Radio-Ethernet:, 4 Network node Ethernet 10Base-T/100Base-TX:RJ-45, 1 Network Ethernet:RJ-45
    Power
    Power Supply / Device Power adapter External
    Miscellaneous
    Recording Standard:Compliant Standards UL
    Expansion / Port(s) Required
    Slot(s) Required None
    Warranty
    Service / Support Details Limited warranty 3 years

Service / Support 3 years w

14. meneer

meneer Registered Member

15. drwho

drwho Guest

Ya but MSBA only works with 2K/XP/03 not 9X/ME.

16. meneer

meneer Registered Member

There's no way you can secure win9x/me. Microsoft knows this. They'd lose their credibility if they'd offer such a tool for that platform ;)
    Bounty69sx is running XP, so MSBA is useful.

17. In The Know

In The Know Guest

Please check this site. It has nearly everything one needs to know about computer security and after that the forums have additional info.

18. bounty69sx

Thanks for the suggestions.

Meneer, Ihave checked out that MSBA and it does look viable. I will go back to it.

Right now I'm downloading Winpatrol, spyware blaster/guard as addl. defense.

But the download at Download.com takes forever...what gives with the slowness.

And can somebody please suggest a very good router with firewall.

I don't know what to get based on my situation. Which would be only 1 computer connected to the net and not a lot of intensive netsurfing/gaming.

I have read about the wireless and the wired kinds...it seems like the ethernet kind is the fastest but their like expensive and for business apps.

The wireless on the other hand is like whyo_OI only have one comp and the DSL modem is right beside it with the phone jack underneath. So what's the point of getting a wireless with just a couple of inches on distance.

I will continue to search and search for the best one i can afford...Is 3com a vgood brand but all i see are for business apps.

The ones for home/small business that I noticed is form DLink, Linksys, and Netgear. Are they any good and worth my time.

I saw a DLink DI624 G Router...anyone used it and how is ito_Oo_Oo_O?

19. bounty69sx

I have one more concern. Though my orig problem seems to have gone away I ran Spybot and got 5 problems flagged and it all concerns a security hole in IE. I tried copying the entire screen here but it would not paste to this board. Here are the problems flagged. I will just copy them by hand as best as I can. I regularly run winupdate(weekly if not every couple of days).

Data Source Object Exploit
    HKEY_USERS\s-1-5-18 software\microsoft\current\version Internet settings\zones\0\1004!=w=3

DSO Exploit
    HKEY_USERS\s-1-5-21-287039896-2070205500-340244031-1007\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\Internet settings\zones\0\1004!=w=3

DSO Exploit
    HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-20\Software\Microsoft\windows\currentversion\Internet setting\zones\0\1004!=w=3

There are 5 flags but the last 2 has the same entries as #3 except #4 has s-1-5-19 and #5 has default.

where can i get the patches for these coz they are not available from the winupdate site.

20. dog

dog Guest

Hi Bounty, :)

Read the post by LWM in this Thread post #2

HTH

dog - *puppy*

21. dog

dog Guest

Regarding Router's this Thread in the firewall forum has some good info and Links.

HTH

dog - *puppy*

22. Q Section

Q Section Registered Member

Headquarters - London & Field Offices -Worldwide
    A wired router is much more secure than a wireless and much faster as well. Usually a wired router can run at 100mbs and for a little more money 1gbs. 1gbs is probably too much so a 100mbs router is good.

This speed is only the speed of data between the router and your computer. If you have a say 3mbs line that your internet service provider is giving you then your total system speed will be no faster than 3mbs to the internet. A faster than that speed could be useful in your future if you are sending streaming data (i.e. a movie) from your computer to a television.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.