"How to get spyware-free RealPlayer through the BBC"

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by optigrab, Feb 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. optigrab

optigrab Registered Member

From the ever-fascinating site Boing Boing:

"An anonymous reader sez, 'The BBC made a unique deal with Real Networks which disposes of their spyware tactics. Basically, if a user clicks on a link to download Real Player from a BBC website, the referrer script sends them to a page where they can download an expiry-free, spyware-free and nuicance-free version of the player. It's because the BBC have such a stringent public service remit, that it was offensive to charge people a license fee for BBC content, then make them pay all over again for the facility to view/listen to it.' "

http://boingboing.net/2004_02_01_archive.html#107565322512239056

I would be interested to hear opinions (guesses) on the whether this is truly spyware-free and nuisance-free.

Regards
    Optigrab

2. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

There has been a misunderstanding. The BBC is only letting you download the BBC radio player you have to already have real player installed to use it. The link to download realplayer from BBC just takes you to realplayer home page to download realplayer 8.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/audiohelp.shtml?help

3. optigrab

Thanks bigc73542, but I am a bit confused by your response.

The link you provided (BTW also provided on the page I linked to) states:

"To use the BBC Radio Player you will need to have a program called RealPlayer installed on your computer. Download it for FREE by clicking below:
    Windows 98/2000/ME/NT4/XP users Download RealOne player for Windows"

That download link will get you a file called r1p-bbc-en-setup.exe.

So it suggests to me that the link provides a full RealOne player install file, but not the typical install file, and perhaps a spyware-free version. Or am I really not undertanding this? o_O

Regards,
    Optigrab

4. Khaine

Khaine Registered Member

Their is only one way to find out.

Who wants to be the guinea pig ?

5. Peaches4U

Peaches4U Registered Member

Give this one a look and see what you think. It's free and clean. so I have been told.

http://sourceforge.net/docman/display_doc.php?docid=18591&group_id=82303

6. optigrab

Thanks Peaches4U

I already use Media Player Classic with the RealAlternative codecs. I think it's great, although it does have some limitations.

I just posted regarding the spyware-free RealOne player in case this might be of interest to others. For curiosity's sake, I am tempted to personally test the claim this BBC RealOne install is spyware-free (assuming I am qualified to assess it), but it will take a few days.

I thought there might be some interest here, either as a download or as a point of discussion.

Regards
    Optigrab

7. bigc73542

From everything I could read the realplayer that you download from BBC is the same as any other version except it has been altered so you don't have to pay to use BBC radio. Besides that it is just real player 8

8. bigc73542

Personally I don't like real player. I use WMP but I block it from phoning home. It works well and has never given me a problem since I blocked it's outgoing ability. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.