How to get SB to recognize proxy servers?

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by Cadmendu2, Oct 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cadmendu2

Cadmendu2 Registered Member

I have been unable to download updates recently because my employer has instituted new security measures that use a proxy server with a high port number. Apparently your update software doesn't recognize an authenticated proxy over port 443. I checked with our IT folks and they are reluctant to start adding exceptions at this point in time. I had no problem getting Spybot Search & Destroy to accept the new proxy information, but when I tried doing it in SpywareBlaster I get the Error Code: DF1. Is there any way your software could be tweaked to accept a higher port number?

2. iroc9555

iroc9555 Registered Member

Cadmendu2.

Have you tried to open SWB go to updates > Options and use system connection/proxy settings or try to set it with the right port ( if you know the port ) ?

If all fail, click the " Alternative download method " box.

Good luck.

3. javacool

javacool BrightFort Moderator

Hi,

What authentication method does your proxy server use?

SpywareBlaster does provide basic proxy support, but certain proxies that require authentication may not work with it.

If Internet Explorer is configured to successfully use the proxy, you can also try selecting the "Use the system connection/proxy settings" option in the Updates > Options section of the program (as iroc9555 noted above).

Best regards and thanks,

-Javacool

Last edited: Oct 10, 2011
  4. iroc9555

Javacool.

I know I am new here so I do not want to sound rude. Also, I usually welcome any support when I give a tip to help others in the many forums I participate, but at least acknowledge my responce to Cadmendu2 being the same answer that you gave.

Mine:

" ....go to updates > Options and use system connection/proxy settings or try to set it with the right port ( if you know the port ) ? "

Yours:

" ...you can also try selecting the "Use the system connection/proxy settings" option in the Updates > Options section of the program. "

Hope you don´t get this the wrong way but it seems that my help was undermined.

Regards.

5. Cadmendu2

If we were to purchase the Autoupdate Pro software does it provide better support for connecting to proxy servers than the free version?

6. javacool

Hi,

I had intended to add an acknowledgement (as I usually try to do), but apparently forgot before posting. I've rectified this above. :) Thanks (and welcome to the forums)!

Best regards,

-Javacool

7. iroc9555

8. javacool

EDIT: iroc9555 just beat me to it. :D

SpywareBlaster AutoUpdate has the same proxy support as the free SpywareBlaster version.

SpywareBlaster Network Version (designed for networks / businesses), has some additional proxy authentication support.

We'd love to know what method of authentication your proxy uses, if possible.

Best regards,

-Javacool

9. iroc9555

Much obliged.

10. Cadmendu2

Our proxy authentication uses the username/password method. Our IT folks said it appears that Spywareblaster is incompatible with an authenticated proxy over port 443. They're using a port that's above 3000. They could make an exception in the proxy for it, however they are extremely reluctant to do this because they fear they would be inundated with an indefinite number of exception requests and then have to keep them updated if and when any of the products change their update strategies.
    I printed out all the information about the network version and gave it to them. Unfortunately, it turns out that I'm the only person using the software so there's little impetus for them to spend money for a program that the rest of the staff show no interest in using.
    In any case, thanks for all your help.

11. javacool

Hi,

As a workaround, there is a manual updating method you can use to download the latest updates using your web browser (which presumably works fine through the proxy).

Please see this thread:
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=12266

Specifically, under "SpywareBlaster Tips", (1) "I would like to perform manual updates - is there a way I can do so?".

Best regards and thanks,

-Javacool

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.