How to get NOD32 to check my email?

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by Samuel Wachowski, Mar 20, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Samuel Wachowski

Samuel Wachowski Registered Member

I couldn't get Kaspersky to work with my email client, Thunderbird, which is
    why I was hoping NOD32 was going to be compatible. Mozilla says it is.
    However, I am unable to confirm any difference that shows NOD32 is
    running antivirus on my Thunderbird email accounts. I have had many
    EICAR tests sent to me via GFI website and other antivrus email test websites. None of the virus-infected mails that ended up in my mailbox were affected by NOD32. The contents were not deleted, there was no notice by NOD32 saying a virus was detected, no popup warnings when I opened the emails, and I could happily open all the attachments, and the attachments ran without so much as a peep from NOD32.

I checked and rechecked and re-rechecked my setttings. I have a POP email account that requires authentication on port 995, so for good measure, I set NOD32 to check both ports 110 and 995. I also made sure "maximum compatibility" was turned on, again for good measure. I made sure my firewall was disabled, in case it was interfering. I still could not get NOD32 to recognize any virus-infected emails. Was Mozilla wrong about NOD32 being compatible with Thunderbird? Else, what else do I need to do to ensure this antivirus program will scan my emails?

2. hollywoodpc

hollywoodpc Registered Member

Make sure IMON is " on " .

3. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

The thing is you use SSL on port 995. Because of this, the data is encrypted and as such cannot be checked by email scanners, no matter whether it's NOD32, KAV or something else unless you use a special plugin for your mail client.

4. Samuel Wachowski

Samuel Wachowski Registered Member

Thanks, that must be it, because I couldn't really get KAV to work either, and
    it too is supposed to be compatible with Thunderbird, according to the
    Mozilla site. I don't recall seeing anything mentioned about the condition
    of compatibility limits it to pop port 110. But I'll see if there are any plugins for Thunderbird that allow it to cooperate with email scanners on port 995....

5. DonKid

DonKid Registered Member

I think you´re using a Gmail account ?

6. sir_carew

sir_carew Registered Member

I use Gmail with Outlook XP SP3 and my mail is being scanned but it's because I use EMON Beta2 that checks yours mail independent of your accounts while you're using Outlook, of course.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.