How To Flash/Fix Bios

Discussion in 'hardware' started by YourPsycho, Nov 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YourPsycho

YourPsycho Registered Member

Sorry if I put this in the wrong thread!!! (It's just all those threads confuse me... :doubt: )

Anyway, I think I have some sort of a virus/malware/etc infecting my BIOS and now it won't boot up... (besides that, my cousin deleted a file he said was a virus and after research I've concluded it's that autoexec.bat file that is neccassary for BIOS to operate - or something along those lines)

The pc basically boots up when XP is supposed to be loading - in other words, cuts out straight after displaying my BIOS info.

Do I have to reformat? How can I fix my BIOS - because honestly, before that file was deleted my computer has been crapping out so I've been suspecting my root of being infected.... heeelp!!!

I don't even know what kind of a BIOS I have!!!! This is just the info I gathered from my computer's boot up:

Award Modular Bios v6.00pg.,

XP-P4VMS33

07/25/2005-P4M266A-8235-6A6LWGOGC-00

Can someone please help me ASAP? I'm really sorry for still being a n00b at this.... :oops:

thanks again!!!

2. Seer

Seer Registered Member

Hello YourPsycho and welcome to Wilders.

I don't say such thing is impossible, but I'd say it's highly unlikely that you have this kind of malware.

autoexec.bat has nothing to do with BIOS and deleting it will not affect your XP to boot properly.

If it "cuts out" straight after BIOS info, I'd say your BIOS is fine. It displays BIOS info after all. Your cousin possibly deleted one (or many) Windows' system files essential for booting process. Not unusual if you had an infection, these nasties often hook to essential processes/files.

Now the solution by the simplest possible method - boot up your XP installation CD like you want to install XP all over again. On first query press "R" and do a "repair install". This will basically replace all infected and missing files on your system. Your installed programs and settings will remain intact.
    BTW, you do have XP CD, do you (you mentioned reformat, so I assumed you have)?

My guess is that this will solve the issue. If not, return here, so we can try some other solutions.

I'm also sure you'll get more replies in the meantime.

Cheers,

3. pugmug

pugmug Registered Member

Keep your cousin off your computer!

4. Jo Ann

Jo Ann Registered Member

Psycho, I doubt that the problem is with your BIOS. Before trying Seer's solution try booting up in Safe Mode (start rapidly tapping the F8 key as soon as the system starts to boot and continue tapping it until you see the Safe Mode menu)... If Safe Mode works, try to run the Last Known Good Configuration" and then restart your PC. If it won't boot into Safe Mode, then you will have to try the Repair suggested by Seer.

Hth,
    Jo Ann

5. YourPsycho

thanks for your help guys!!! I was able to repair my installation:) ... and yeah I've completely put a ban on my cousin now.

Okay, so the reason why I think I have malware is that my computer just randomly reboots for no reason and recently something started attacking my antivirus (Avast) like literally something would replace my virus database file with this dodgy file name that has like squares and random symbols in it - I checked out my installation folder but nothing looked out of place there, so I complained to avast.com and when it happened for the fourth time, I changed my anti-virus.

My computer, even though it is just average has been very stable and then all this crap started up. I spoke to this computer expert and he says that something has infected my rootkit - which is what led me to do research... I also have all these random blue screens ("IRQL_NOT_EQUAL")

Anyway, it couldn't hurt to try and scan for malware right?

6. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

7. Seer

Seer Registered Member

Good.

Even better ;)

Interrupt requests are in relations to hardware addresses. I have googled quite a bit regarding this error a few months ago and found 2 possible reasons for this error. One (most probable) is obsolete drivers - do you have your drivers updated to the latest versions? If not, try if that solves the issue. The other is bad RAM modules. While I personally think that it's pretty much unlikely that you have a bad RAM, I don't discard the possibility. But unfortunately, can't help with that.

Cheers,

8. YourPsycho

Thanks so much, you guys!!! I will definitely try out those programs ASAP! :D

9. Searching_ _ _

Searching_ _ _ Registered Member

Psycho,

About your BSODs. Do you recall if they occured while connected to the internet only, when not connected no BSODs.

BSODs are a way to get you to lower your security standards in order to infect a target.
    It could also be a malware driver that is conflicting and causing the BSOD. This will be a process of elimination for you to determine if it is malware or hardware and knowing when certain behaviors occur.

With your malware scans, I would suggest trying to scan in safe mode with the scanners listed above. Many newer pesky threats have AV and AM protection mechanisms, like vundo and fake alert, but in safe mode aren't active.

good to here your B.I.B

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.