How to extract files from compressed drive image archive

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by ittiandro, Mar 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ittiandro

ittiandro Registered Member

Hi!
    I am in a real bind: I had made a drive image with Paragon on my 8 years old computer and backed it up on an external USB drive with the idea that if I ever buy a new computer,( which I did yesterday) I would easily recover the image into the new computer, without having to waste long hours in re-loading all the programs and settings.
    Unfortunately, I discovered that this is not possible: it seems that a computer ( at least mine) cannot recover an image made on a different computer, unless ( so I am told) the two have an identical interface ( same M.Board, etc). Also, I get a message saying that my image was made on Windows 7 Ulltimate 32-bits computer, while the new computer is Windows 7 Home Premium 86 or something like this. I am not too sure what the 32 or 86 is all about, but it seems that it makes a difference. Bottom line, I am stuck, because I lost all my e-mail addresses, the Internet favorites, etc.
    I read on an older thread of yours, now closed, that you can decompress and access individual files in the .PBF archives by using the File Transfer Wizard. I tried, with no success. By using the Files Transfer Wizard, the archive still remains compressed and there is no way I can see the names of the individual Folders and files contained.
    Short of recovering the whole drive image on the new computer, which I am unable to, how can I view, select and restore the individual folders and files in the compressed archive?

Thank you for your help

Ittiandro

2. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

There are a couple of problems with restoring an image to a completely different machine.

1. The hardware is different.

Because of that , windows may not boot .

There are special programs ( like paragon p2p adjust ) which can make it bootable after it has been restored to a different machine).

2. Your windows product key and license is only good for one machine.

If you have a retail license - you can transfer that to another machine.

If it was an oem license ( like you get when the machine had windows installed on it by the manufacturer ) - then you can not use it on a different machine.

If that is the case, you need to buy another license ( product key ).

If you just wish to extract your data files from an image - that should be fine.

File transfer wizard should work - unless your backup image is damaged.

It is possible you made the image with a different version of Paragon?

You could try the file transfer wizard from the same version of Paragon you made the image with.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.