How to Exchange Encrypted Messages on Any Website

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by lotuseclat79, Nov 6, 2014.

1. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79 Registered Member

2. Carver

Carver Registered Member

Shadowcrypt Extension will it be available all for all browsers or thunderbird or a just a specially designed browser.

3. Palancar

Palancar Registered Member

I have had a look at this via a thorough read around! It is likely better than nothing but it has a flaw for me. Assuming I was using Shadowcrypt, I would pass the needed key to the intended "friend". They would place it on their shadowcrypt/computer. By having the needed key they can then decrypt any message that I send to that key. Easy to understand of course.

What if they give my shadowcrypt key to another unauthorized (by me) person, or someone hacks/steals my key from their machine? Now that adversary can read any messages that have ever been sent using that key.

Encryption of any nature is something to use in a somewhat private setting, or at least for when any eyes that can see it have a key to open it. What do I mean? On a social networking site as mentioned above, if members see garbled/encrypted messages that they do NOT have access to it frankly disturbs the masses. At one point years ago I made the mistake of using PGP out in an open forum while trying to communicate with a specific member/group. Only those included in the encryption key scheme could access the post. I don't know what I was thinking (brain fart) but what a backlash. Unless everybody in the forum/social site is supposed to have access that approach can have dire results.

That said in private its much different. I still use PGP and quite often at several sites. Some here have been communicating with me that way in the PM system. Its what such software is designed for. My two cents.

4. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

Right :)

But one can be subtle, using steganography to hide encrypted messages in image files, for example.

5. RockLobster

RockLobster Registered Member

For encryption in a group environment you need to implement a method of multicast encryption I am not sure that anyone has developed a method of doing this that does not get very complicated especially with larger groups.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2014
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.