How to Edit boot.ini After a Restore

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by The4Bs, Apr 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello The4Bs,

Thank you for your interest in Acronis True Image

Here is another way of removing HPA from the destination drive:

1. HPA should be removed from the destination hard drive to restore its original capacity. This can be done using Hitachi Feature Tool (CD ISO image):
    o Go to the Hitachi website at http://www.hitachigst.com;
    o Select Downloads & Utilities;
    o Under Feature Tool click CD Image to download the tool.

Please read the detailed instructions on how to apply this solution.

2. MBR should be fixed, so that the HPA activation code will be removed from it.
    3. If the issue occurs on a laptop, there can be limitations on fixing MBR:
    o Laptops usually have EISA partition, the link to which may be in MBR. In this case, the access both to EISA partition and to the embedded recovery software can be lost.
    o If you have Windows Vista OEM without Windows Vista Installation CD, the best solution is to to contact your laptop manufacturer for assistance.
    The solution will not work with the drives connected via USB/FireWire interface. In this case, we suggest you to connect the drive directly to IDE/SATA port on the motherboard/storage controller or to take the drive to a service center with the request to restore the drive to factory default settings.

Best regards,
    --
    Dmitry Nikolaev

2. The4Bs

The4Bs Registered Member

A quick question related to my new drive. I now have 3 partitions on this new drive with the second partition containing Windows. The first and third partitions are essentially junk brought over from the original disc.

I would like to combine all these partitions into one partition. Will Disc Director Suite accomplish this for me? I was browsing through that forum and see a lot of the same expert names posting there too, so I'm hoping to get a bit of direction. It seems to me that DD should do this but I want to make sure before I try. The 3 partitions are all different types and one is the OS so maybe it's not as straight forward as I might hope.

Thoughts?

Thanks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.