How to disinfect & How to view log?

Discussion in 'Trojan Defence Suite' started by super_anon_man, Mar 31, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Although I've enjoyed the trial version of TDS-3 so far, I do not understand how to do the following:

1. Remove/disinfect the "threats". I see that I can "delete" them. Is that the only option? No quarantine in case of a false positive? What does the "delete" actually do?

2. I was able to view a crude log from the file-drop-down-menu. However, it doesn't show what infections were found and there locations. How can I access a log that will provide the history of scans/deletions/infections/etc?

2. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

3. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Hi there,
    yes, that thread Snowbound indicated.
    In addition to this:
    right-click on one of the alerts and save to Scandump.TXT. This will display for you all full pathnames, enables you to cut and post here, etc.
    Next scan save overwrites the former log, to keep it short, so if you would like to keep it for some reason you should rename your copy in the TDS directory.

4. That's quite unfortunate that TDS-3 doesn't support a quarantine or threat history function that is a standard even among freeware programs like Spybot and AdAware.

The quarantine would allow recovery of deleted false positives and other purposes.

The threat history function would be a log that allows for the administrator to review the history of threats and associated dates.

The absence of these two capabilities makes TDS-3 unacceptable for me in professional environments.

5. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Like told in other threads:
    I created myself a folder for suspicious files where i copy the suspicious things till told otherwise what to do with them.
    The originals you can either rename or add another extension or move to another location (like that suspicious folder).
    This way the files are always accessable for other scanners and can't do harm on your system and you are professionally kept in the driver's seat.

For the Scandump.TXT i have explained above you have the choice to overwrite it each time and keep it short or save the file away with another name/date for future study/comparision.

Again: TDS is for people who want to learn or professionally keep things in own hands. It's not an automatic press the button and chew the results.
    That way you might see files unaccessable, deleted, quarantined, crippled systems all unnecessary in case of false positives or necessary files needing replacement with not dangerous versions.
    Etc.etc.
    It's all your professionalism to learn to deal with your system and all upon it, TDS and ProcessGuard keep you aware to the bottom of it.

Super_anon_man, you are invited to join this forum as a member which is all free and gives lots more of options, while at the moment there is a very generous software spree going on in which you can still partake just by joining as a member.
    This counts for all our guests, please join the forum!

6. Unfortunately, I deleted all threats on a server with the presumption that TDS-3 would allow for file recovery and at least document threat names, detection/deletion dates, and threat locations.

I certainly hope that future releases of TDS-3 would incorporate these basic functions.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.