How to delete

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by manOFpeace, Jul 9, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. manOFpeace

manOFpeace Registered Member

Hello, I don't know the name, but I am referring to a thread like Program Files. Well I started out with one called "Owner" where I kept my downloaded material. Somehow over the time this has by itself
    triplicated, or 3 rows of it. To-night I decided to delete some of the multiable entries. When I done a check I discovered the entries were
    going away from all three rows of Owner.
    Is there a way I can be left with only the original "Owner". Seems like an awfull waste of space.
    I'm sorry I don't know the language and perhaps that has left my problem harder to understand. The entries in all 3 rows were the same
    Thanks a million. :oops:

2. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Hi manOFpeace,

I'm sorry, I'm not quite sure what you are referring to. Can you give us a little more information? Perhaps you can tell us what program you are running from which you are trying to delete things. If you can step us through how you are getting to these items, then we can probably help. And, of course, a screen shot could help a great deal, as well.

Since I'm not quite sure what this refers to, I'll move it over to the "other security issues" section.

Thanks,
    LowWaterMark

3. manOFpeace

Hi LowWaterMark, program files as an example. Do you know when you right click on "Start Button" and all the files open up in a long string.First choice, Open, Explore and Search on right click.Then left click, Program files then a long row of entries A to Z. A lot of our files are there for operation of computer.
    Well I started out with one called "Owner" and in it a long list of d/loaded programs I got from the net. For some reason this has changed to three "Owner Files" and most of the entries are the same on three lists. What I was trying to do was delete duplicated entries,
    but when I checked the entries were deleting from all three lists instead of me being left with one full list. I hope this can help you as the more I write the more complicated it becomes. If not let me know and I will have another bash at it. Best of luck. :)

I was trying to get PrintScreen but when I deleted my name it came back on post
    I rubbed it out on editing but returned in post.

4. manOFpeace

OK third try. You will see 3 lists headed by "Owner" There should only be one. The others appeared themselves. The entries are all the same.
    I tried to delete duplicated ones but they were being deleted from all
    Owner lists at the same time, I wanted one only to be left.

Attached Files:

5. Dan Perez

Dan Perez Retired Moderator

Greetings ManOfPeace!

That is a strange issue you have there!

A few questions;

1. What version of Windows are you running?

2. When you delete items from one folder and find them deleted in the others, do they at least have an icon in the others (and it is just that they can't find the file?)

3. Did you use any special program to organize your "Owner' folder or did you just save there through a web browser each time you download?

Thx,

Dan

6. manOFpeace

Hi Dan, I'm on Windows XP Home. SP1 :)

I just d/loaded and directed to "Owner" myself.

No2 is the hard one. The complete item went when any single one was deleted in all lists.
    I took ScreenPrint of the original which was the bottom one, opened it
    and deleted the duplicates. After about 10 were deleted I checked to see how things were going and discovered all the lists shortend. So to prevent any trouble I restored from recycle bin and to-day done a System Restore from a couple of days back. I would prefer to leave it alone rather than get a complete c0ck-up. This happened when working with files once before. Only this time I wasn't working with files because of that experiance. I hope you can understand what I am getting at. Do you see an easy way out.? :(

7. Dan Perez

Dan Perez Retired Moderator

Hi ManOfPeace,

I'm sorry but I am stumped, I can't think of anything that would cause a file removed from on folder to cause to be removed from other folders aside from the mobilesync option which I can't see how it could come into play here.

Hopefully someone else will have some input?... o_O

Sorry I couldn't help :(

8. manOFpeace

Thanks Dan and LowWaterMark. I appreciate your interest. The worst
    thing in the world is putting a question in and no response at all. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.