How to delete .tib file list

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by MrDada, May 31, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MrDada

MrDada Registered Member

When making backups, there is a file list with different .tib file names I've chosen in the past. Is it possible to delete all or some of the file names I no longer want to use? Thanks...

2. Bruce Mahnke

Bruce Mahnke Registered Member

When you use the term file list this becomes a bit confusing. Perhaps you can provide some more details about this list and where it's located. If instead you are referring to the actual .tib backup files themselves that you are seeing on a drive then yes you can delete the ones that you do not want as with any file.

3. MrDada

MrDada Registered Member

When you create a full backup, you have to enter a .tib file name. There is a drop down list that contains all .tib file names I've used in the past. Most of these names I don't want to use anymore. I'd like to delete most or all of those previous .tib file names (not the actual .tib files) in the drop down list. I've looked for some kind of Acronis log for these file names but could not find one. Anyone have a clue? Thanks...

4. Bruce Mahnke

If I understand correctly what you are seeing is not a list so to speak but rather a view of the .tib files that you have saved. This is the same as viewing files and folders in Windows Explorer that actually exist. It is a window to the location where you saved the image files and represents what you currently have saved and have stored there. As an option you can go to the drive where the .tib files exist and create a new folder named whatever you want, perhaps OldStuff and transfer the files to that. In that manner they won't be readily visible but will still exist as backup files. I don't view this as a practical solution as it only adds another layer of complexity. What you are seeing is not a log file and I don't believe one exists. If the issue is the file name itself you can go to the file and right-click on it. Select rename and change the name to whatever you wish it to be leaving the extension as .tib.

5. MrDada

MrDada Registered Member

Bruce

If you open "Create Backup Wizard" and advance to the page referring to "Backup Archive Location", there is a drop down list to the right of "File name:". This is the list of .tib names that I would like to clear out. If you drop down the list and right click any of these names, nothing happens. This list must be stored somewhere that is not completely obvious. Anyways, thanks for responding.

6. Bruce Mahnke

Following your instructions I now see what you are referring to. This is much the same as a MRU list (most recently used). Perhaps Acronis can add some insight as to where this resides, it would appear that this is in the Registry. When I have time I'll persue that search.

Best regards,

7. TheWeaz

TheWeaz Registered Member

You could create a small Files/Folder image and give it a really odd and unique name. Then afterward, verify that the name shows up in the drop down. Then run a registry search for the name and also a Windows Explorer search for the name within files.

8. Bruce Mahnke

Doing a very quick check of the Windows Registry I find that I was correct in that the information you were looking for resides there. Given the risks of making errors with changes to the Registry I don't want to try to direct you to the specifics of deletions in that area. Perhaps a more important question for Acronis Technical Support is "how do we set the size of this list as this will be affected by additional builds introduced in the future?" For the present I think I can clear this out however given a new release this Registry change would be over-written. In my opinion a reasonable range of events would be from zero to ten. Yes, I said zero. It would appear that the consumer should have some control over this list size.

Bruce

9. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

A good idea Bruce. You might want to consider posting it in the Acronis True Image Wish-List sticky.

Regards

10. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello MrDada and everyone interested,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are very sorry for the delay with the response.

Please do the following in order to clean the history of backup names:

- Press Windows Start button and choose Run;

- In the Run dialog enter "regedit" and hit Enter;

- In the Registry Editor go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Acronis\TrueImage\FILEHISTORY key;

- Delete the values you want and close the Registry Editor.

If you want us to change the behaviour of Acronis True Image in any way or add some new features to this product then please do as Menorcaman has suggested and post your suggestions in Acronis True Image WISH-LIST thread.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

11. MrDada

MrDada Registered Member

Greetings Alexey

Thanks for the tip: it worked! Before editing, I backed up the registry using ERUNT.

12. Menorcaman

Hello Alexey,

For TI 9.0 Home Build 3567 and higher, should that be HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Acronis\TrueImageHome\FILEHISTORY key ?

Although I uninstalled the previous build I find that I have both a TrueImage key and a TrueImageHome key. Is it safe to delete the TrueImage key completely or do I need to keep it ?

Regards

13. bVolk

bVolk Registered Member

Hello there Menorcaman,

Here are four entries from my old-fashioned handwritten log I keep:

23.04.06/21.30 Backup B3567 - Before deleting TI (old) from registry
    25.04.06/22.20 Deleted TrueImage (old) from registry
    .................... Had to reinstall B3567
    25.04.06/22.40 Backup B3567 - After deleting TI (old) from registry and reinstalling 3567

Hope that helps.

P.S. Went to check: there is only the TrueImageHome key in that hive now and 3567 still going strong.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2006
  14. Menorcaman

Hi there bvolk,

Thanks for that. I guess it's safe to delete that old TrueImage key from the Registry.

The reason I posed the question is that when I install Build 3633 it creates both a TrueImage folder and a TrueImageHome folder under C:\Program Files\Common Files\Acronis\. Confusing or what o_O.

Regards

15. bVolk

bVolk Registered Member

Great!

On my disk, restored to pre-3633 state after the problems I had with this current build, I have:

C:\Program Files\Acronis\TrueImage\support.dll (this folder was created when I first installed TI9 on the new machine and was never deleted by subsequent uninstalls. I didn't want to touch support.dll myself either) :D

C:\Program Files\Acronis\TrueImageHome\... (with all the B3567 program files and BartPE folder)

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Acronis\TrueImage\... (no TrueImageHome folder here, must be a B3633 first).

16. MrDada

MrDada Registered Member

Hello Menorcamen

I also have both files that you listed. I'm running 3633. My previous versions were uninstalled before 3633. Although there some similar files, the contents are somewhat different. In registry, I only have the one folder that support suggested that I edit. Maybe support will chime in

17. Menorcaman

Hello Acronis Support,

Could I please ask that you look at Post #12 onwards. Seems there is ground for some confusion here regarding which Registry keys and directory folders one should see after installing the various builds of True Image 9.0 Home.

Best regards

18. Acronis Support

Hello Menorcaman,

Yes, you are right. It should be HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Acronis\TrueImageHome\FILEHISTORY key.

Please also note that you can safely delete TrueImage key completely using Registry Editor.

As to the folders TrueImage and TrueImageHome in C:\Program Files\Common Files\, there was a little mess with the installation of the build 3567 and higher on the computer where previous builds (2337 or lower) was installed. In order to get rid of unnecessary folder please uninstall build 3633 (using Control Panel -> Add or remove pprograms) then use instructions provided in this post in order to completely uninstall old build (2337 or lower). After that reboot your computer and install build 3633 of Acronis True Image 9.0 Home once again.

Please accept our apologies for the inconvenience.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

Last edited: Jun 8, 2006
  19. Menorcaman

Hello Aleksandr,

Thank you for your reply.

Where possible the instructions were carried out to the letter. However (there always seems to be a "however" :)), after re-installing Build 3633 I notice that the TI installer routine recreated the two folders C:\Program Files\Common Files\Acronis\TrueImage and C:\Program Files\Common Files\Acronis\TrueImageHome. Whilst there are a couple of file duplications across the two folders, the contents are mostly different but clearly they belong to Build 3633. I conclude, therefore, that both these folders are required.

Regards

20. como

como Registered Member

I have checked my instalation and can confirm Menorcaman's post today, (number 19 above) it appears that both these folders and files are installed by build 3633, all the files have the same date and within a minute the time

21. shieber

shieber Registered Member

Yep, ATI 9.0 3633 makes both dirs: C:\Program Files\Common Files\Acronis\TrueImageHome

and

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Acronis\TrueImage.

I just did an install on a brand new disk, whch had a freshly loaded installation of WinXP but never had anything Acronis on it before. Sounds like a crossover thing from the True Image to the True Image Home versions.

relatively harmless, but somewhat inelegant ;)

22. Acronis Support

Hello everyone,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

I've forwarded the information about build 3633 of Acronis True Image 9.0 Home creating both 'TrueImage' and 'TrueImageHome' folders upon it's installation to both our Testing and Development Teams and will inform you about the results of their investigation as soon as possible. As this can take a few days we apologize in advance for any delay with the response.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

23. Acronis Support

Hello MrDada,

Please be aware that, as Aleksandr has already mentioned above, in order to clean the history of backup names you should have edited 'HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Acronis\TrueImageHome\FILEHISTORY' key and not 'HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Acronis\TrueImage\FILEHISTORY' key, as I stated initially. I'm very sorry as it was my mistake.

Please also note that due to the known issue 'TrueImage' key remains in Windows registry even after Acronis True Image (builds older than 3567) is uninstalled via Start -> Settings -> Control Panel -> Add or Remove Programs -> Acronis True Image. That's why most people have both 'TrueImage' and 'TrueImageHome' key in their Windows registry. However, 'TrueImage' key is not related to the program anymore if you have build higher than 3567 installed and therefore can be safely deleted. For the same reason deletion of the values in 'HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Acronis\TrueImage\FILEHISTORY' should not affect the program functionaly.

All these facts make situation you described very strange and requiring an additional clarification.

Could you please do the following?

- Uninstall build 3633 of Acronis True Image 9.0 Home by following Start -> Settings -> Control Panel -> Add or Remove Programs -> Acronis True Image;

- Go to Start -> Run -> issue 'regedit' commad -> find and delete the only 'HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Acronis\TrueImage' key you have;

- Delete both '\Program Files\Common Files\Acronis\TrueImageHome' and '\Program Files\Common Files\Acronis\TrueImage' folders, if they were not deleted automatically during the software uninstallation;

- Reboot the computer and re-install build 3633;

- Let us know if there is only 'HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Acronis\TrueImage' or 'HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Acronis\TrueImageHome' key or both these keys in your Windows registry;

- Let us know if both '\Program Files\Common Files\Acronis\TrueImageHome' and '\Program Files\Common Files\Acronis\TrueImage' folders were re-created upon build 3633 re-installation.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

Last edited: Jun 9, 2006
  24. Acronis Support

Hello everyone,

I've just received a reply from our Development Team and they assured me that presence of both '\Program Files\Common Files\Acronis\TrueImage' and '\Program Files\Common Files\Acronis\TrueImageHome' folders after build 3633 installation is not a problem but a normal behavior of the current Acronis True Image version. The '\Program Files\Common Files\Acronis\TrueImage' folder is a common folder for all Acronis True Image versions and editions used for installation of such components as TrueImageMonitor.exe, TrueImageService.exe, etc.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

25. Howard Kaikow

Howard Kaikow Registered Member

Where is this list?
    Do not recall seeing the critter.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.