How to delete scanout.01:01

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by deletethis, Aug 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. deletethis

deletethis Registered Member

I tried to detect my modem after booting a live CD of Ubuntu 7.1 by extracting scanModem.gz(which I downloaded from net).Now I am unable to delete a file called "scanout.01:01".I have scanned it with "Norton Antivirus 2005","Spybot v.1.6.2.0" with latest updates and "Lavasoft Ad-Aware Anniversary Edition 2009".I also have "Zone Alarm v.7.0.483".I have tried to delete it using "HijackThis v.1.99" and "KillBox".No use.I booted in Safe Mode in WinXp and tried to delete it.Not possible.I again booted through the Live Ubuntu CD and tried to delete it.No luck.The message that I get when I try to delete it under WinXp ServicePack3 is "Cannot delete file:Cannot read from the source file or disk".Any suggestions?

2. StevieO

StevieO Registered Member

Hi, to me, it sounds like the typical message you get when you've disconnected a portable drive or CD etc.

As you stated you were running a live CD at the time, maybe you can't locate scanout as you've disconnected the CD. In which case there is nothing to find.

If this isn't the case and you think it's somewhere in your PC, let me know and i'll try to offer a possible solution.

3. deletethis

deletethis Registered Member

Hi Stevie.Let me explain this a little more.I thought of trying Ubuntu Linux through a bootable Live DVD.After booting through the DVD,I found that I cannot connect to internet through Ubuntu as it had not discovered my modem.I removed the DVD and restarted into XP.I searched for the solution on the internet.I found that I had to detect my modem through an application called ScanModem.gz and then install its relevant Linux drivers.So I downloaded it,restarted XP and booted Ubuntu again through the DVD.From the desktop of Ubuntu,I went into the folder of XP hard disk where I had downloaded the file.I copied that file onto the desktop of Ubuntu,unzipped it and ran it.It detected the modem,created a few files and folders on the desktop of Ubuntu.I copied those files and folders onto the XP hard disk.I booted into XP again after removing the Ubuntu DVD.From XP,through one of the files copied,I got to know where to get the drivers on the internet.I did find the Linux drivers on the internet but they were not free.So I decided to scrap the entire thing and delete the files and folders copied.But I was unable to delete even a single file.So I restarted XP and booted Ubuntu through DVD.I tried deleting them from here.Not possible.Then I restarted the System in XP safe mode and tried to delete them.Not possible.I opened a command prompt and typed "del *.txt" and "del *.htm".This worked in deleting the text files and htm files.Now I am stuck with "scanout.01:01".I am unable to delete this file.My hunch is that during one of the booting up process into XP/Linux,there was a power failure and so there was some loss of data due to which some incorrect pointer to data exists in the hard disk which I am unable to delete due to a corrupt data pointer or something like that which is why I am getting a "Cannot read from source file or disk" error when I try to delete it.But whatever it is,I just want this thing out of the system.As said earlier,I had scanned this using the tools mentioned before this post.

4. StevieO

StevieO Registered Member

Hi, well apart from all your text bunched up together with no spaces or paragraphs, things are a bit clearer now.

The fact that you can definately locate scanout.01:01 is something anyway. If you right click on it, what are it's properties, does it have any extension like for example .exe etc ?

Can you copy it and Zip it and upload it somewhere so i can have a look at it. I don't think it's a nasty, so i wouldn't be too concernded about it myself !

Unlocker is similar to KillBox, and i've always found it Very effective, try the Delete on Reboot option.

http://ccollomb.free.fr/unlocker/

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.