How to delay TDS-3 start-up ?

Discussion in 'Trojan Defence Suite' started by Defenestration, Nov 4, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Defenestration

Defenestration Registered Member

I want to have the auto-start feature of TDS delayed by a minute or two, to give KAV's real-time protection time to finish its start-up scan. The reason being that it can cause my hard-disk to thrash a bit.

How can I achieve this ?

2. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Hi Defenstration, Most users start TDS3 manually after boot up to give it space during it's initial scans. You could use windows or an add on scheduler to do the task if you wanted.

Ther is no risk in this as ProcessGuard starts much earlier in the logon process.

HTH Pilli :)

3. Armoured

Armoured Guest

4. jag1967

jag1967 Registered Member

I use startdelay with tds3, works like a charm. Decided to do this as kept forgetting to manually start tds after bootup

jag

5. Defenestration

Defenestration Registered Member

Thanks for the tip Armoured! I'l give it a go.

jag1967 - That's the problem I'm having..., Remembering to start TDS.

6. NAMOR

NAMOR Registered Member

thanks Armoured and jag1967 for letting me know of this program.

7. jag1967

jag1967 Registered Member

Hope u'll find startdelay useful

U can even cancel progs if in advance of them loading (tho when i've tried sometimes this also cancels other programs starting afterwards). But most of the time works. Handy for times when u want a faster bootup and don't want to run tds3

8. rolls

rolls Guest

Hi thanks for the startdelay link, excellent program as I was finding that TDS would hang if launched at the same time as everything else. Problem solved :)

9. gottadoit

gottadoit Security Expert

Thanks from me also, I was looking for something like this also for the same reasons, it was getting quite tedious when TDS hung during startup

Hopefully TDS4 will have the option to split into a service and a GUI
    Then GUI can have its own delayed startup option in case of issues and the service will take care of the basics in the background

10. gottadoit

gottadoit Security Expert

Has anyone had any problems where startdelay removes all of the entries from
    hkey_local_machine\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\run
    It might just be a bug I'm encountering but its annoying enough to ditch startdelay (especially since the authors have not yet responded to my email)

I was leaving some things to run from there and putting others under startdelay control, its a good thing I have a backup of the key....

Had a bit of a look around and found a half decent site on windows startups that has some suggestions at pacs-portal.co.uk
    The startup list from here is mirrored at CastleCops so it has some measure of endorsement from another security oriented site

Last edited: Dec 9, 2004
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.